Thursday, April 21, 2005
Tuscaloosa -- The Alabama Crimson Tide (8-14, 3-9 SEC) lost 4-2 to the Ole Miss Rebels (13-8, 6-6 SEC) in Thursday’s opening round of the SEC Women’s Tennis Tournament.
Alabama’s success at the top of its line-up continued Thursday as Robin Stephenson and Ashley Bentley each earned wins, however it wasn’t enough to push the Tide to victory.
With Ole Miss already up 3-0, Bentley put the Tide on the board and kept the match alive with a win at No. 2 singles. She defeated Nika Koukhartchouk in straight sets 7-6, 6-4. Minutes later, Stephenson followed suit by defeating Chloe Caroltti 6-4, 7-5.
But Alabama needed wins on the remaining two courts to pull off the come-from-behind win. However, The Rebels’ Preethi Subramanian clinched it for Ole Miss at No. 6 singles with a straight set win over Andrea Brenes.
Ole Miss’ 17th-ranked doubles team of Carlotti and Virginia Tomatis clinched the doubles point for the Rebels and put them out in front early. They defeated Stephenson and Natalie McElveen 8-6 at No. 1 doubles.
Rain delayed the beginning of the match for nearly four hours after its originally scheduled time. Once play finally began, rain once again caused a stoppage of play midway through doubles and forced the match to move to the Hank Crisp Indoor Facility.
Ole Miss will now play Vanderbilt on Friday at 2 p.m. cst. in the quarterfinals.
Tennis Match Results
Ole Miss vs Alabama
Apr 21, 2005 at Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Ole Miss 4, Alabama 2
1. Robin Stephenson (ALA) def. Chloe Carlotti (UM) 6-4, 7-5
2. Ashley Bentley (ALA) def. Nika Koukhartchouk (UM) 7-6, 6-4
3. Ilona Somers (UM) def. Melissa Minor (ALA) 6-1, 6-0
4. Virginia Tomatis (UM) def. Mari Muller (ALA) 6-2, 6-0
5. Mimi Renaudin (UM) def. Natalie McElveen (ALA) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
6. Preethi Subramanian (UM) def. Andrea Brenes (ALA) 6-1, 6-0
1. Chloe Carlotti/Virginia Tomatis (UM) def. Robin Stephenson/Natalie McElveen (ALA) 8-6
2. Ashley Bentley/Melissa Minor (ALA) def. Ilona Somers/Mimi Renaudin (UM) 8-4
3. Nika Koukhartchouk/Preethi Subramanian (UM) def. Mari Muller/Melissa Day (ALA) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,2,1,6)
(Photos by Dusty Compton)