Sunday, March 09, 2003
The 31st ranked University of Alabama women's tennis team lost 6-1 to the 5th ranked Georgia Bulldogs on Sunday in Athens, Georgia. The loss drops the Crimson Tide to 10-3 overall and 2-2 in the Southeastern Conference.
"Georgia is very good and I was very impressed with them," UA head coach Jenny Mainz said. "They are a strong team and talented team."
The Bulldogs claimed the doubles point by sweeping all three doubles matches. At number one doubles, Georgia's18th ranked doubles team of Agata Cioroch and Lori Grey defeated the Crimson Tide's 33rd ranked duo of Mille Begovic and Robin Stephenson 8-4.
Georgia remained strong in singles and claimed five of the six singles matches for the 6-1 win. Alabama's point came at the number two singles position from Sophie Cremers. Cremers won 3-6, 6-1, 0-1 (default) over the Bulldogs' Anne Nguyen. Cremers is now 13-0 in singles dual match play for the Crimson Tide.
Alabama's Stephenson was down a set and 5-1 in the second set to Georgia's Tina Hojnik before Stephenson battled back to take the second set to a tie-breaker. Hojnik was able to win the tie-breaker.
"I thought we competed well," Mainz said. "I thought we were working hard for the points."
Alabama will continue SEC play on Friday when the Crimson Tide will take on Mississippi State on Friday in Starkville, Miss., at 1 p.m. Bama will then face Ole Miss on Sunday at 1 p.m. in Oxford, Miss.
No. 31 Alabama- 1 No. 5 Georgia- 6
1. No. 18 Cioroch/Grey (UGA) def. No. 33 Begovic/Stephenson (UA) 8-4
2. Smith/Subbotina (UGA) def. Bentley/Cremers (UA) 8-3
3. No. 49 Hojnik/Douglas Wink (UGA) def. Koppelle/Lord-Andrade (UA) 9-8
1. No. 2 Agata Cioroch (UGA) def. No. 71 Millie Begovic (UA) 6-0, 6-1
2. Sophie Cremers (UA) def. Anne Nguyen (UGA) 3-6, 6-1, 0-1 default
3. No. 66 Tina Hojnik (UGA) def. Robin Stephenson (UA) 6-1, 7-6
4. Lori Grey (UGA) def. Marie-France Lord-Andrade (UA) 6-3, 6-2
5. Evgenia Subbotina (UGA) def. Ashley Bentley (UA) 6-3, 6-1*
6. Alexandra Smith (UGA) def. Nathalie Koppelle (UA) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2