Friday, March 07, 2003
The 31st ranked University of Alabama women's tennis team lost 4-3 to the 11th ranked Tennessee Lady Vols on Friday in Tuscaloosa. The Crimson Tide fell to 10-2 overall and 2-1 in the Southeastern Conference.
"We competed hard today," UA head coach Jenny Mainz said. "Tennessee is a good team that has strength at the top of their line-up."
Tennessee (10-3, 2-1) won at the number two and three doubles positions to claim the doubles point. However, Alabama's 33rd ranked tandem of Millie Begovic and Robin Stephenson gave the Crimson Tide some momentum going into singles by defeating the Lady Vols' 17th ranked duo of Vilmarie Castellvi and Melissa Schaub at number one doubles 9-8.
Alabama was able to claim three singles matches on the day. Sophie Cremers remained undefeated (12-0) in singles dual match play for the Crimson Tide with her win at number two singles. UA's Stephenson and Ashley Bentley both pulled out third set victories after dropping their first set.
"I thought we needed to make them play more," Mainz said. "You have to give Tennessee credit though because they played great."
The Crimson Tide will take on No. 5 Georgia on Sunday at 1 p.m. in Athens, Georgia.
No. 31 Alabama- 3 No. 11 Tennessee- 4
1. No. 33 Begovic/Stephenson (UA) def. Castellvi/Schaub (UT) 9-8
2. Encina/Majen Immink (UT) def. Cremers/Bentley (UA) 8-5
3. Cleveland/Maharaj (UT) def. Koppelle/Lord-Andrade (UA) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. No. 3 Vilmarie Castellvi (UT) def. No. 71 Millie Begovic (UA) 7-5, 6-0
2. Sophie Cremers (UA) def. Tammy Encina (UT) 6-1, 6-3
3. Robin Stephenson (UA) def. Melissa Schaub (UT) 6-7, 6-1, 10-5#
4. No. 99 Crystal Cleveland (UT) def. Marie-France Lord-Andrade (UA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Ashley Bentley (UA) def. Sabita Maharaj (UT) 4-6, 6-3, 10-4#
6. Ashley Robards (UT) def. Nathalie Koppelle (UA) 6-4, 6-2*
Order of finish: 2, 4, 1, 6, 5, 3
* clinched match
# ten-point tie-breaker played in place of a third set