Saturday, February 08, 2003
The 33rd ranked University of Alabama women's tennis team defeated the 44th ranked Florida International Golden Panthers 6-1 on Saturday in Mobile, Ala. The Crimson Tide moved to 5-0 on the season as the Golden Panthers dropped to 1-3.
Alabama jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning all three doubles matches. At number one doubles, Millie Begovic and Nathalie Koppelle won 8-5 over Florida International's Mei Ly and Bruna Discordia. The Tide's Sophie Cremers and Ashley Bentley defeated the Golden Panthers' Desanka Jovanovic and Davina Duronio 8-5 at number two doubles. UA's Melissa Minor and Marie-France Lord-Andrade won 8-5 at number three doubles over FIU's Christine Suard and Courtney Jonson.
The Crimson Tide then won five of the six singles matches to claim the 6-1 victory. Florida International picked up their lone point at number five singles as FIU's Duronio won 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 over UA's Koppelle.
Alabama's 71st ranked Begovic clinched the match with her 7-6, 6-2 win over the Golden Panthers' Ly at number one singles.
Alabama will face No. 18 South Alabama (4-1) on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. in Mobile. The Crimson Tide's next home match is February 15 against Houston at noon.
1. Begovic/ Koppelle (UA) def. Ly/Discordia (FIU) 8-5
2. Cremers/Bentley (UA) def. Duronio/Jovanovic (FIU) 8-5
3. Melissa Minor/Lord-Andrade (UA) def. Suard/Jonson (FIU) 8-5
1. No. 71 Millie Begovic (UA) def. Mei Ly (FIU) 7-6, 6-2*
2. Sophie Cremers (UA) def. Bruna Discordia (FIU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Marie-France Lord-Andrade (UA) def. Desanka Jovanovic (FIU) 6-3, 2-6,
4. Ashley Bentley (UA) def. Christine Suard (FIU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Davina Duronio (FIU) def. Nathalie Koppelle (UA) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Natalie McElveen (UA) def. Courtney Jonson (FIU) 6-0, 5-7, 10-4#
* clinched match
# ten point tie-breaker played in place of third set
No. 33 Alabama- 6 No. 44 Florida International- 1