May 11, 2012
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The No. 8 seed women's tennis team cruised to a 4-0 win over Army in the first round of the 2012 NCAA Championship on Friday at the Alabama Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 18-4 overall, while the Black Knights will end the season at 22-7.
"We really played authoritative, commanding tennis today," said Alabama head coach Jenny Mainz. "We were well prepared for this tournament and have really picked up confidence as the season has gone on. We are playing our best tennis of the season right now, and that's what you want to do."
Alabama secured the doubles point in 35 minutes, picking up wins on courts one and three. The Tide's 14th-ranked duo of Alexa Guarachi and Courtney McLane were first to finish, winning 8-1 over Della and Elle Taylor. The remaining two matches were both at 7-2 in favor of Alabama, but it would be Taylor Lindsey and Yasmine Ebada with the 8-2 victory against Margaret Iliev and Carly Riney to win the point on court three.
"We got off to a great start in doubles playing very aggressively," said Mainz. "That was one of our big goals today."
In singles, Alex Clay cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 win over Iliev to put the Tide in front 2-0 overall. Shortly after, No. 52 Guarachi would put Alabama ahead 3-0 as she dominated Jamila Paul, posting a 6-0, 6-1 victory on court two. The match would end with a win for the Tide on court five as Antonia Foehse earned a 6-1, 6-1 decision over Della Taylor for the clincher.
"In singles, I thought we did equally as good a job getting out to a quick start," added Mainz. "Alexa Guarachi had a banner day. She really got after it. I think the momentum from her doubles match really helped her get off to the great start in singles. Alex Clay played lights out. She is playing with a lot of confidence and has improved a lot over the course of the season. She is a gamer. Overall, I am proud of the team. I think we had a really good day."
Alabama will now take on Georgia Tech in the second round of the tournament on Saturday at 1 p.m. CT.
1. No. 14 Guarachi/McLane (UA) def. Taylor/Taylor (ARMY) 8-1
2. No. 41 Foehse/Macfarlane (UA) vs. Colton/Paul (ARMY) 7-3, unf.
3. Lindsey/Ebada (UA) def. Iliev/Riney (ARMY) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1,3
1. No. 24 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) vs. Erin Colton (ARMY) 6-3, 2-2, unf.
2. No. 52 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Jamila Paul (ARMY) 6-0, 6-1
3. Courtney McLane (UA) vs. Natalie Allen (ARMY) 6-2, 4-4, unf.
4. Alex Clay (UA) def. Margaret Iliev (ARMY) 6-0, 6-0
5. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Della Taylor (ARMY) 6-1, 6-1
6. Taylor Lindsey (UA) vs. Elle Taylor (ARMY) 6-3, 4-3, unf.
Order of Finish: 4,2,5*