April 14, 2013
Final Stats |
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
Despite several close matches, the eighth-ranked women’s tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to No. 4 Georgia on Sunday at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility. The Crimson Tide finishes the regular season with an 18-4 overall record and a 10-3 mark in the Southeastern Conference, while the Bulldogs now stand at 19-2 on the season and finish league play with a 12-1 record.
Georgia took a 1-0 lead following doubles with wins on courts one and two. First to finish was the matchup on court two where 64th-ranked Maho Kowase and Lauren Herring topped Alabama’s 84th-ranked Antonia Foehse and Maya Jansen, 8-5. Court one was a battle throughout, but a late break for the Bulldogs’ third-ranked team of Silvia Garcia and Kate Fuller helped them to an 8-6 victory over fifth-ranked Alexa Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane.
In singles, Georgia claimed wins on courts one, two and four to clinch the team victory; however they wouldn’t come easily as several points lasted quite some time. Fuller tacked on the Bulldogs’ second point of the match, winning 6-3, 7-5 on court four over Foehse. Next up was sixth-ranked Herring from the No. 1 spot, who posted a 7-5, 6-1 victory against 62nd-ranked Guarachi. Shortly after, No. 19 Kowase delivered the clinching decision with a 6-2, 6-3 win over No. 29 Macfarlane from court two. The remaining three matches were suspended once the fourth point was earned.
Next up, Alabama heads to Starkville, Miss., for the 2013 SEC Women’s Tennis Tournament, which will begin on Wednesday, April 17. As the No. 4 seed, the Tide will not play until Friday at 11 a.m. CT and will either take on No. 5 seed Tennessee, No. 12 seed Mississippi State or No. 13 seed Missouri.
1. No. 3 Garcia/Fuller (UGA) def. No. 5 Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) 8-6
2. No. 64 Kowase/Herring (UGA) def. No. 84 Foehse/Jansen (UA) 8-5
3. Okuno/King (UGA) vs. Zabor/Maynetto (UA) 5-4, unf.
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. No. 6 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. No. 62 Alexa Guarachi (UA) 7-5, 6-1
2. No. 19 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. No. 29 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) 6-2, 6-3
3. No. 102 Maya Jansen (UA) vs. No. 88 Silvia Garcia (UGA) 6-4, 4-5, unf.
4. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Antonia Foehse (UA) 6-3, 7-5
5. No. 116 Natalia Maynetto (UA) vs. Ayaka Okuno (UGA) 6-3, 5-3, unf.
6. Emily Zabor (UA) vs. Mia King (UGA) 6-3, 2-6, 0-1, unf.
Order of Finish: 4,1,2*