April 5, 2013
ST. LOUIS -
The seventh-ranked women's tennis team (17-2, 9-1 SEC) rolled over Missouri (9-9, 2-8 SEC), 4-0, on Friday at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center. Alexa Guarachi would clinch the win for the Crimson Tide for her 102nd career singles victory, making her the winningest singles player in program history.
Alabama took the 1-0 lead following doubles with wins on courts one and two. Both got off to a quick start, with 4-0 advantages before allowing their Missouri counterparts to get on the board. The Tide's No. 1 duo of sixth-ranked Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane cruised through the rest of their match from that point, earning an 8-1 victory over Cierra Gaytan-Leach and Alex Clark. The matchup on court two got a little closer down the stretch with the Tigers' Maria Christensen and Rachel Stuhlmann closing in; however Antonia Foehse and Maya Jansen held on for the 8-6 win to award Alabama the first point of the match.
The Tide went on to win three singles matches in a row, all in straight sets, to secure the team victory. Natalia Maynetto went from having her longest match of the season last weekend to one of her quickest matches, posting a 6-1, 6-1 win over Madison Rhyder on court six. Macfarlane was next, beating Gaytan-Leach, 6-3, 6-4, from court one, while Guarachi followed on court two against Stuhlmann, also winning 6-3, 6-4.
Alabama continues its road trip on Sunday at fourth-ranked Texas A&M. The match is slated to begin at Noon CT.
1. No. 6 Alexa Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) def. Gaytan-Leach/Clark (MO) 8-1
2. Foehse/Jansen (UA) def. Christensen/Stuhlmann (MO) 8-6
3. Maynetto/Zabor (UA) vs. Gabb/Rhyner (MO) 2-6, unf.
Order of Finish: 1,2
1. No. 26 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. No. 105 Cierra Gaytan-Leach (MO) 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 56 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (MO) 6-3, 6-4
3. No. 84 Maya Jansen (UA) vs. Maria Christensen (MO) 6-7(4), 5-2, unf.
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) vs. Elisha Gabb (MO) 7-5, 1-2, unf.
5. Emily Zabor (UA) vs. Alex Clark (UA) 7-5, 4-5, unf.
6. No. 113 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Madison Rhyner (MO) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6,1,2*