March 22, 2013
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -
The eighth-ranked women’s tennis team dropped its first Southeastern Conference match of the season, losing, 4-1, Friday to No. 2 Florida at the Ring Tennis Complex. With the loss, the Crimson Tide dips to 13-2 overall and 5-1 in SEC play, while the win brings the Gators to 12-2 on the season and 5-1 against league opponents.
Alabama battled through its longest doubles point of the season to date to take the 1-0 edge after picking up wins on courts one and two. Florida would come up victorious on court three as juniors Alex Cercone and Olivia Janowicz topped sophomore Emily Zabor and freshman Natalia Maynetto, 8-3. Tide senior Antonia Foehse and freshman Maya Jansen would even the count, winning 8-5 on court two over junior Sofie Oyen and freshman Danielle Collins. The matchup on court one was highly contested throughout, with neither team going up by more than one break. It would eventually be played out in a tiebreaker, where senior Alexa Guarachi and junior Mary Anne Macfarlane held on to outlast Gator senior Lauren Embree and freshman Brianna Morgan, 9-8(9).
Florida came back strong in singles, winning four straight points to take the match. The Tide was battling in the final two matches on court as 60th-ranked Guarachi pushed No. 14 Oyen to a third set, while Maynetto led senior Caroline Hitimana, 7-5, 1-0, however those matches were suspended once the fourth point was clinched.
Next up, Alabama plays its second road match of the weekend when it heads to Columbia, S.C., to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks. First serve is slated for 1:30 p.m. CT.
1. No. 6 Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) def. Embree/Morgan (UF) 9-8(9)
2. Foehse/Jansen (UA) def. Oyen/Collins (UF) 8-5
3. Cercone/Janowicz (UF) def. Maynetto/Zabor (UA) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. No. 1 Lauren Embree (UF) def. No. 25 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) 6-1, 6-3
2. No. 60 Alexa Guarachi (UA) vs. No. 14 Sofie Oyen (UF) 3-6, 6-4, 1-2, unf.
3. No. 55 Alex Cercone (UF) def. No. 73 Maya Jansen (UA) 6-3, 6-1
4. No. 96 Brianna Morgan (UF) def. Antonia Foehse (UA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Olivia Janowicz (UF) def. Emily Zabor (UA) 6-4, 6-0
6. No. 115 Natalia Maynetto (UF) def. Caroline Hitimana 7-5, 1-0, unf.
Order of Finish: 3,5,1,4*