March 10, 2013
Final Stats |
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The sixth-ranked women’s tennis team dominated LSU on Sunday, beating the Tigers 6-1, at the Alabama Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 12-1 overall and 4-0 in the Southeastern Conference while LSU dips to 7-7 on the season and 0-4 against league opponents.
Alabama earned its first point of the afternoon after winning the doubles point with victories on courts one and two. Alexa Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane were broken early to fall behind 2-1 but would go on to win the next seven straight games for the 8-2 win. The Tide had match point on courts two and three but it would be Antonia Foehse and Maya Jansen finishing first, posting an 8-4 decision over Ebie Wilson and Keri Frankenburger.
Alabama would go on to win three straight singles matches to secure the team victory, getting its first singles win from Guarachi, 6-0, 6-2, on court two. From there, Jansen topped Ella Taylor 6-0, 6-4 on court three before Emily Zabor delivered the clinching victory on court four with a 6-1, 6-2 decision. LSU collected its lone point next with a 7-5, 6-3 win on court six before Alabama closed out the final two matches with Natalia Maynetto winning 6-4, 6-1 on court five and Macfarlane, 6-7(5), 6-4, 10-7 on court one.
The Tide remains in Tuscaloosa next weekend when it hosts 14th-ranked Auburn on Friday. The match is slated to begin at 5 p.m. CT.
1. No. 4 Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) def. Jeremiah/Morton (LSU) 8-2
2. Foehse/Jansen (UA) def. Wilson/Frankenberger (LSU) 8-4
3. Maynetto/Zabor (UA) vs. Burns/Taylor (LSU) 7-4, unf.
Order of Finish: 1,2
1. No. 20 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 6-7(5), 6-4, 10-7
2. No. 36 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. No. 77 Maya Jansen (UA) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Emily Zabor def. Ariel Morton (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. No. 106 Natalia Maynetto (LSU) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Caroline Hudson (LSU) def. Yasmeen Ebada (UA) 7-5, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,3,4*,6,5,1