Feb. 9, 2013
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -
The ninth-ranked women's tennis team bounced back from its first-round loss at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships to beat No. 15 Baylor, 4-3, in Saturday's consolation round at the Boar's Head Sports Club. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 5-1 on the season while the Bears dip to 3-3 overall.
Alabama grabbed hold of the early edge after taking the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. First to finish was the matchup on court two where senior Antonia Foehse and freshman Maya Jansen downed Baylor junior Alex Leatu and redshirt freshman Victoria Kisialeva, 8-1. The Tide's No. 3 doubles team of sophomores Yasmeen Ebada and Emily Zabor also posted an 8-1 decision, topping sophomore Megan Horter and junior Alex Clay.
In singles, Alabama's pair of freshman gave the Tide a 3-0 lead as 105th-ranked Natalia Maynetto beat Leatu, 6-1, 6-1, on court six while No. 59 Jansen won by a 6-3, 6-3 score over junior Jordan Sanford. From there, the Bears evened the match with three-straight victories coming on courts one, two and five. The clincher would come down to the battle on court four where Foehse battled her way back from a 7-5 first-set loss to take the match in three, 5-7, 7-6(5), 6-1, over Kisialeva, giving Alabama the team victory.
The Tide will play its final consolation match on Sunday against Texas.
1. No. 2 Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) vs. Burgic/Generette (BU) 5-4, unf.
2. Foehse/Jansen (UA) def. Leatu/Kisialeva (BU) 8-1
3. Ebada/Zabor (UA) def. Horter/Clay (BU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 2,3
1. No. 16 Ema Burgic (BU) def. No. 12 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
2. Megan Horter (BU) def. No. 13 Alexa Guarachi (UA) 2-6, 7-6(5), 6-2
3. No. 59 Maya Jansen (UA) def. Jordaan Sanford (BU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Victoria Kisialeva (BU) 5-7, 7-6(5), 6-1
5. Kiah Generette (BU) def. Emily Zabor (UA) 2-6, 7-6(3), 6-1
6. No. 105 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Alex Leatu (BU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6,3,1,2,5,4*