Feb. 2, 2013
FORT WORTH, Texas -
The ninth-ranked Alabama women's tennis team earned a 4-1 victory on Saturday at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center, handing TCU its first loss of the season. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 3-0 while the loss drops the Horned Frogs to 3-1 overall.
TCU would end up claiming the doubles point with wins on courts one and three, playing against a different doubles lineup than Alabama had last weekend. At the No. 3 spot, junior Gabi Barbosa and sophomore Simona Parajova picked up an 8-3 win over Tide sophomore Yasmeen Ebada and freshman Natalia Maynetto, before senior Olivia Smith and junior Millie Nichols posted an 8-4 victory against senior Alexa Guarachi and freshman Maya Jansen to give the Horned Frogs the early edge.
The Tide would come back strong in singles, however, claiming all four of the matches that finished. Sophomore Emily Zabor wasted no time getting on the board as she dominated Barbosa on court five, winning 6-0, 6-1, to even the match at 1-1. Alabama would soon take the lead as Foehse topped Nichols on court four, 6-3, 6-3. From there, the Tide would get wins from 13th-ranked Guarachi and 12th-ranked Macfarlane at the top of the lineup to seal the victory for Alabama.
The Tide will play its second match of the weekend tomorrow when it takes on SMU in Dallas at Noon CT.
1. Nichols/Smith (TCU) def. Guarachi/Jansen (UA) 8-4
2. Macfarlane/Foehse (UA) def. Denti/Sundaram (TCU) 7-4, unf.
3. Barbosa/Parajova (TCU) def. Ebada/Maynetto (UA) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,1
1. No. 12 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. Stefanie Tan (TCU) 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 13 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Simona Parajova (TCU) 6-4, 6-4
3. No. 59 Maya Jansen (UA) vs. Olivia Smith (TCU) 6-4, unf.
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Millie Nichols (TCU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Emily Zabor (UA) def. Gabi Barbosa (TCU) 6-0, 6-1
6. No. 105 Natalia Maynetto (UA) vs. Federica Denti (TCU) 3-2, unf.
Order of Finish: 5,4,2,1*