Jan. 26, 2013
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The ninth-ranked Alabama women’s tennis team posted a 4-0 win over Memphis on Saturday in round one of ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility. The Crimson Tide will now face the winner of the No. 20 Clemson/No. 24 Tulsa match on Sunday at 2 p.m. CT for the opportunity to advance to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.
Alabama would take the doubles point in dramatic fashion as the decision came down to the matchup on court two, which was played out in a tiebreaker. Tide senior Antonia Foehse and freshman Maya Jansen earned the first point of the breaker and never looked back, eventually taking the match 8-7(4). Alabama’s No. 2 ranked tandem of senior Alexa Guarachi and junior Mary Anne Macfarlane also won their match on court one, pulling away late for the 8-5 victory over the Tigers’ 18th-ranked team of seniors Courtney Collins and Kelly Gray.
In singles, the Tide won all six first sets to keep the momentum in Alabama’s favor. Jansen, ranked 59th in the nation, was first to finish, giving the Tide a 2-0 edge, as she beat junior Stefanie Mikesz, 6-2, 6-2 on court three. Freshman Natalia Maynetto, the No. 105 singles player, was next to win for Alabama posting a 6-1, 6-4 victory on court six over Memphis freshman Skylar Kuykendall. Foehse would provide the clinching win at court four for the Tide as she downed sophomore Liza Tymchenko, 6-3, 6-2.
In addition to Alabama playing the winner of the Clemson/Tulsa match, Memphis will take on the loser of that match on Sunday at 10 a.m. CT. Live scoring will be available for both matches and can be found on RollTide.com. Additionally, you can find more news on the women's tennis team by liking the Tide on Facebook or following the team on Twitter @AlabamaWTN.
1. No. 2 Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) def. No. 18 Collins/Gray (MEM) 8-5
2. Foehse/Jansen (UA) def. Welcher/Hibberd (MEM) 8-7(4)
3. No. 35 Wegner/Mikesz (MEM) def. Ebada/Zabor (UA) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. No. 12 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) vs. Courtney Collins (MEM) 6-4, 3-0, unf.
2. No. 13 Alexa Guarachi (UA) vs. Tiffany Welcher (MEM) 7-6(5), 3-2, unf.
3. No. 59 Maya Jansen (UA) def. Stefanie Mikesz (MEM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Liza Tymchenko (MEM) 6-3, 6-2
5. Emily Zabor (UA) vs. Alyssa Hibberd (MEM) 6-1, 3-4, unf.
6. No. 105 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Skylar Kuykendall (MEM) 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,6,4*