Sunday, April 04, 2004
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The University of Alabama men’s tennis squad had a chance for its third upset of the week on Sunday, but the Crimson Tide came up short, falling 6-1 to No. 11 LSU in Tuscaloosa.
Alabama forced the Bengal Tigers to three-set matches at No. 1, No. 4 and No. 5 singles, but LSU held off the Crimson Tide in each one to prevail in the match. Alabama fell to 8-10 (2-6 SEC) with the loss while LSU improved to 13-3 (5-3 SEC) on the season. Alabama beat No. 7 Rice on Wednesday and No. 23 Arkansas on Friday.
“We had lot of obstacles against us, but we also had a really good opportunity to win four singles matches,” Alabama head coach Billy Pate said. “We had three matches that went three sets and mentally we should have a good chance to win those. We just didn’t do a good enough job.
“We’re going to get better and win these close matches. Overall, it was a great week and we have to get ready for a double-header on Wednesday and Auburn on Saturday.
The Crimson Tide’s No. 3 singles, player Joseph Jung, scored the Crimson Tide’s singles victory with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over LSU’s Peter Richman. Jung has won six straight matches at the No. 3 singles spot.
Alabama was painfully close to winning the doubles point, only to come up short. The Crimson Tide’s most consistent combination of RJ Murray and Joseph Jung fell 8-2, but Stephen Mitchell and Chris Gostek took an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles.
In the doubles-deciding match at No. 3, Eric Molnar and Mike Green lost their serve at 7-7, and the Tigers duo of Cory Ross and Sebastian Rutka served out the match for a 9-7 win.
Alabama turns its attention to three in-state home matches in the coming week, facing Birmingham Southern and UAB on Wednesday before hosting Auburn on Saturday.
No. 58 Alabama 1, No. 11 LSU 6
1. Mitchell/Gostek (UA) d. Fisher/Hazley (LSU) 8-5
2. Ross/Rutka (LSU) d. Jung/Murray (UA) 8-2
3. Skupski/Richman (LSU) d. Molnar/Mike Green 9-7
1. Ken Skupski (LSU) d. Stephen Mitchell (UA) 7-5, 1-6, 6-4
2. Jason Hazley (LSU) d. Chris Gostek (UA) 6-4, 6-1
3. Joseph Jung (UA) d. Peter Richman (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Bryan Fisher (LSU) d. Eric Molnar (UA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. Sebastian Rutka (LSU) d. RJ Murray (UA) 6-7, 6-1, 7-6
6. Cory Ross (LSU) d. Christian Brodersen (UA) 6-1, 6-1