January 17, 2014
Happy New Year to all and welcome to a new and exciting season of Alabama Men's Tennis. This is the first of several e-newsletters that you'll receive throughout the 2014 campaign so you'll be up-to-date on the latest and greatest with the Crimson Tide.
We have a great group of young men that will represent the program with pride and compete their tails off from match to match. They include senior co-captain, Daniil Proskura; junior co-captain, Stuart Kenyon; junior Andrew Goodwin; sophomores Becker O'Shaughnessey and Brian Conlon; and, freshmen Hayes Brewer, Saxon Buehning, Sean Donohue and Nikko Madregallejo. The team had a busy and productive fall semester competing in seven tournaments in six states - Georgia, California, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Florida and Alabama. Now the main event is just around the corner, with our first match on January 18.
Our schedule is a tough one for good reason as it provides us with plenty of great opportunities as well as prepares us for the SEC and NCAA Championships. Here's a breakdown on what lies ahead:
▪ Opening Day is an Alabama 'TH', as in Tripleheader. The Tide hosts Alabama-Birmingham, Alabama A&M and Troy. Later in the season, a 'DH' (Doubleheader) will be held against Arkansas and the Citadel.
▪ 13 of our opponents are ranked in the ITA Top-20 national team rankings: #3 Georgia, #4 USC, #6 Tennessee, #9 Kentucky, #10 Oklahoma, #11 Ole Miss, #12 Texas A&M, #14 Mississippi State, #15 Florida, #16 Vanderbilt, #17 Cal, #18 South Carolina and #20 Texas.
▪ A strong non-conference line-up includes a trio against the Big 12 (on the road at Texas and at home vs. Oklahoma & Oklahoma State) and a Pac-12 cameo by 20-time National Champion, USC.
▪ The ITA Indoor Regional takes us outside to Malibu, California where we face #17 Cal and then either #13 Pepperdine or #40 San Diego...a pair of wins will reward the Tide with a trip to the National Team Indoor Championships in Houston, Texas.
▪ Alabama will return to the 65th Annual Blue-Gray National Tennis Classic in nearby Montgomery where we will compete in a 3-day team tournament.
▪ Parent Weekend will be held April 11-13 vs. Georgia and Tennessee, with the 13th also serving as Senior Day for Daniil Proskura.
▪ The SEC Championships will be held at Vanderbilt April 17-21 so be ready to road trip to Nashville.
▪ The NCAA Championships will be held in Athens, GA ... another necessary road trip.
▪ Friday home matches will begin at 5pm, while Sunday's first serve will be struck at 1pm (with the exception of Feb 9 vs. Oklahoma).
New to Alabama Tennis this year will be several promotional tie-ins with our matches as well as the debut of the Alabama Aces. This group of 8-12 male and female UA students will greet fans, promote our schedule and help provide a great home-court atmosphere for the Crimson Tide. We will also welcome fans from nearby tennis clubs, business neighbors on 5th Avenue East (street where our home sweet home lies), ball runners from the community, Big Al, UA's Million Dollar Band and many other loud and passionate supporters to witness a high energy team with lots of talent, character, pluck and grit.
So a lot is happening and we're pumped to get started. We look forward to seeing you at home or on the road and together celebrating the excitement that is Alabama Tennis.