April 19, 2013
OXFORD, Miss. -
The men’s tennis team ended its run at the Southeastern Conference Championship on Friday, falling 4-1 to 12th-ranked Texas A&M at the Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center. With the loss, the Crimson Tide dips to 14-13 overall, while the win brings the Aggies to 17-11.
Alabama earned its lone point of the match in doubles, collecting a win on court three, followed by another on court two. Stuart Kenyon and Philippe Tsangarides got the Tide on the board first, winning the final three games to beat Texas A&M’s Jeremy Efferding and Jordan Szabo, 8-5. Alabama’s duo on court two of 34th-ranked Becker O'Shaughnessey and Daniil Proskura also came through late in the match, taking the last two games to win 8-6 over No. 27 Harry Adams and Shane Vinsant.
In singles, the Aggies won four straight matches starting with court two, following by the matchups on courts three, four and one to clinch the team victory to advance to the semifinals.
Alabama now awaits the NCAA Tennis Championship Selection Show, which will air on Tuesday, April 30.
1. No. 7 Ore/Withrow (TAMU) vs. No. 13 Botha/Vieyra (UA) 8-7, unf.
2. No. 34 O'Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. No. 27 Adams/Vinsant (TAMU) 8-6
3. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) def. Efferding/Szabo (TAMU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,2
1. No. 26 Jeremy Efferding (TAMU) def. No. 73 Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-3, 6-4
2. Junior Ore (TAMU) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 120 Harry Adams (TAMU) def. No. 107 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) 6-3, 6-2
4. No. 81 Shane Vinsant (TAMU) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 6-3, 6-1
5. David Vieyra (UA) def. Jackson Withrow (TAMU) 7-6(4), 1-1, unf.
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) vs. Behzad Minavi (TAMU) 3-6, 6-4, unf.
Order of Finish: 2,3,4,1*