April 17, 2013
OXFORD, Miss. -
Becker O'Shaughnessey clinched his fourth match of the season to advance the men's tennis team to the second round of the Southeastern Conference Championship with a 4-2 victory over Arkansas on Wednesday at the Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 13-12 overall, while the loss drops the Razorbacks to 16-16 on the season.
Alabama got off to a solid start by securing the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. The Tide's 34th-ranked duo of O'Shaughnessey and Daniil Proskura downed Arkansas' Gregoire Lehmann and Mike Ward, 8-4, on court two to take the first match in doubles. The Razorbacks would even the count with a win on court three, leaving the point up for grabs for the winner on court one, which was a battle throughout and eventually decided in a tiebreaker. Alabama's Jarryd Botha and David Vieyra, ranked 13th in the nation, pulled in front, 3-0, in the tiebreaker, but Arkansas' Mike Nott and Manfred Jeske came back and soon pulled in front 6-4. Botha and Vieyra were able to fight off two match points and win four games in a row to take the tiebreaker, 8-6.
The Razorbacks' Jovan Parlic tied the match, winning the first singles point on court five, but the Tide would jump back in front shortly after with Stuart Kenyon earning a 6-4, 6-0 victory on court six over Victor Hoang. Arkansas collected its final point of the match next on court four, before Botha and O'Shaughnessey were able to close it out on courts one and three to give Alabama the win.
Next up, Alabama will take on the tournament's fifth-seed in Mississippi. The match is slated to begin on Thursday at 3 p.m. CT.
1. No. 13 Botha/Vieyra (UA) def. Nott/Jeske (ARK) 9-8(6)
2. No. 34 O'Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. Lehmann/Ward (ARK) 8-4
3. Fess/Munoz (ARK) def. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. No. 73 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) 7-6(5), 6-4
2. Mike Nott (ARK) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 7-6(1), 6-1
3. No. 107 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) vs. Mike Ward (ARK) 7-6(5), 6-5, unf.
5. Jovan Parlic (ARK) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Victor Hoang (ARK) 6-4, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5,6,2,1,3*