April 14, 2013
ATHENS, Ga. -
The Alabama men’s tennis team closed out the regular season with a 5-2 loss at No. 3 Georgia on Sunday. With the loss, the Crimson Tide stands at 12-12 overall and 3-9 in the Southeastern Conference, while the win brings the Bulldogs to 19-4 on the season and 11-1 versus league opponents.
Alabama won a thrilling doubles point, taking a 1-0 advantage to get things started. On court one, the Tide’s 30th-ranked duo of Jarryd Botha and David Vieyra dominated Georgia’s 24th-ranked team of Garrett Brasseaux and Nathan Pasha, 8-4. At that point, both remaining matches were on serve at 5-5, making for an exciting finish. With the Bulldogs serving on court two to send it into a tiebreaker, Alabama’s 58th-ranked duo of Becker O'Shaughnessey and Daniil Proskura collected a critical break to win the match, 9-7, and award the Tide the point.
Following doubles, the match was moved indoors, allowing only the top four singles matches to be played. Georgia came out and took four singles decisions in straights sets with the clincher coming on court five. The remaining two matches would be played out and were split between the Tide and Bulldogs. On court three, O’Shaughnessey battled his way through a close three-setter over Austin Smith, 7-5, 3-6, 7-5, giving Alabama its second, and final, point of the match.
Next up, Alabama heads to Oxford, Miss., for the 2013 SEC Men’s Tennis Tournament, which will begin on Wednesday, April 17. As the No. 12 seed, the Tide will take on No. 13 seed Arkansas at 1 p.m. CT.
1. No. 30 Botha/Vieyra (UA) def. No. 24 Brasseaux/Pasha (UGA) 8-4
2. No. 58 O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. Oliver/Pieters (UGA) 9-7
3. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) vs. Diaz/Nunez (UGA) 8-8, unf.
Order of Finish: 1,2
1. No. 7 KU Singh (UGA) def. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-1, 7-5
2. No. 44 Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 6-4, 6-1
3. No. 98 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Austin Smith (UGA) 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
4. No. 121 Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) def. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Marco Nunez (UGA) def. Harris Barnard (UA) 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,4,2,5*,3,6