April 14, 2010
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The 29th-ranked men’s tennis team (13-11, 4-6 SEC) tallied a pair of wins on Wednesday over UAB (12-8, 3-1 C-USA) and Samford (11-11, 2-6 SoCon). The Crimson Tide took down the Blazers 5-2 at the Lakeshore Tennis Center before posting a 6-1 victory over the Bulldogs at the Samford Tennis Center.
“We were obviously disappointed with doubles today,” head Coach Billy Pate said. “We came out slow against UAB and didn’t execute well. The end of the season is a tough time, but we have Auburn coming up and there is no excuse for us to have come out this flat. We rebounded well in both singles, however, which was good.”
Alabama dropped the doubles point in both matches forcing the Tide to come back and earn at least four wins in singles for the dual match victory. In the afternoon contest against the Blazers, Alabama got wins from No. 28 senior Saketh Myneni followed by freshman Jarryd Botha, sophomores Ricky Doverspike, Michael Davis and Michael Thompson for the win. Clinching would be Davis at No. 6.
In the night match versus the Bulldogs, Alabama swept the six singles courts winning in straight sets on all but one court. The Tide’s first victory came from Doverspike, then Myneni, freshman Ian Chadwell, Botha, junior Trey Walston and Davis. Botha would deliver the clinching win from the No. 3 spot.
“UAB has a lot of great players and we responded,” Pate added. “The same can be said for Samford. It was good to be able to play some different guys today. We are happy to come out with two wins and can now turn our attention to Auburn.”
Next up, Alabama returns home for Senior Day on Saturday, April 17. The Tide will welcome in the 39th-ranked Auburn Tigers at 5:00 p.m. (CST) for the final regular season conference match of the season.
ALABAMA VS. UAB RESULTS
1. Manlow/Emery (UAB) def. No. 86 Myneni/Davis (UA) 8-4
2. Doverspike/Thompson (UA) def. Moser/Ewels (UAB) 8-6
3. Zimmerman/Puetz (UAB) def. Botha/Walston (UA) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. No. 28 Saketh Myneni (UA) def. Alex Emery (UAB) 6-1, 6-2
2. Ricky Doverspike (UA) def. Danny Manlow (UAB) 6-3, 6-4
3. Jarryd Botha (UA) def. David Zimmerman (UAB) 6-1, 6-4
4. Michael Thompson (UA) def. Thomas Petrich (UAB) 6-1, 7-5
5. Daniel Moser (UAB) def. Houssam Yassine (UA) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0(8)
6. Michael Davis (UA) def. Tyrone Ewels (UAB) 7-6(2), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,3,2,6*,5,4
ALABAMA VS. SAMFORD RESULTS
1. Doverspike/Thompson (UA) def. Kadi/Browder (SAM) 8-2
2. Reynolds/Dunkle (SAM) def. Botha/Walston (UA) 8-3
3. Abalos/Foster (SAM) def. Barnard/Blanchard (UA) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. No. 28 Saketh Myneni (UA) def. Carson Kadi (SAM) 6-0, 6-4
2. Ricky Doverspike (UA) def. Zac Dunkle (SAM) 6-1, 6-3
3. Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Oliver Reynolds (SAM) 6-4, 6-2
4. Michael Davis (UA) def. Carl Abalos (SAM) n6-2, 7-6(5)
5. Ian Chadwell (UA) def. Scott Foster (SAM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Trey Walston (UA) def. Adam Witcher (SAM) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0(6)
Order of Finish: 2,1,5,3*,6,4