April 12, 2013
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -
The men’s tennis team dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 10 Tennessee on Friday at Barksdale Stadium. With the loss, the Crimson Tide dips to 12-11 overall and 3-8 against Southeastern Conference opponents, while the win lifts the Volunteers to 20-7 on the season and 7-4 in the league.
In doubles, Alabama’s Becker O'Shaughnessey and Daniil Proskura swept Tennessee’s Edward Jones and John Collins, 8-0, but the Vols would go on to take wins on courts one and two to pick up the first point of the match. At No. 1, sixth-ranked Mikelis Libietis and Hunter Reese earned an 8-2 win, while the victory on court three would be decided in a tiebreaker and eventually fall in Tennessee’s favor, 9-8(1).
The Vols collected two straight wins in singles on courts four and five before Stuart Kenyon got the Tide on the board with a 6-2, 7-5 victory against Tennessee’s Taylor Patrick. Moments later, however, Jarryd Chaplin clinched the win for the Vols, claiming a 7-6(6), 6-1 on court three. The remaining two matches were suspended.
Alabama will close out the regular season on Sunday at No. 3 Georgia. First serve is slated for Noon CT.
1. No. 6 Libietis/Reese (UT) def. No. 30 Botha/Vieyra (UA) 8-2
2. No. 58 O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. No. 60 Jones/Collins (UT) 8-0
3. Chaplin/Patrick (UT) def. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) 9-8(1)
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Mikelis Libietis (UT) vs. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-3, 6-6, unf.
2. No. 30 Hunter Reese (UT) vs. Daniil Proskura (UA) 6-2, 2-6, 3-0, unf.
3. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) vs. No. 98 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) 7-6(6), 6-1
4. John Collins (UT) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-2, 6-1
5. Edward Jones (UT) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 6-0, 6-4
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Taylor Patrick (UT) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4,5,6,3*