April 11, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The men's tennis team picked up a pair of wins Wednesday in Birmingham, beating UAB, 4-0, and Samford, 4-3. The Crimson Tide now stands at 10-13 on the season, while the Blazers drop to 16-6 and the Bulldogs to 14-4.
"It was a tough day playing against two good teams, and we're pleased to get through with the wins," said Alabama head coach Billy Pate. "We were a little tired in the Samford match, but we were fortunate enough to come away with the win."
In Alabama's first match of the day, the Tide won the doubles point and took care of business quickly in singles, winning three matches to secure the win. Alabama's Vikram Reddy and Carlos Taborga dropped an 8-4 decision to UAB's Danny Manlow and Daniel Moser before the Tide's David Vieyra and Filippos Tsangaridis evened the match with an 8-3 win on court three over Chris Helliar and Lucas Dirube. Alabama's 34th-ranked duo of Ricky Doverspike and Jarryd Botha sealed the point in a tiebreaker on court one, winning 9-8(4) over David Zimmerman and Tom Puetz.
In singles, Vieyra was first to finish, collecting a 6-3, 6-4 win over Puetz before Doverspike made it a 3-0 lead with another 6-3, 6-4 win against Manlow. Senior Michael Thompson would clinch the win, topping James Gardner, 6-4, 6-1 on court six.
In the night match against Samford, the Tide swept all three doubles courts as Harris Barnard and Rens van der Vis beat Fernando Costa and Carson Kadi, 8-5 on court three, which was followed by an 8-6 victory for Doverspike and Botha on court one against Zac Dunkle and Alex Sajonz. Vieyra and Tsangaridis would finish things off on court two, dominating Elliott Barnwell and Ryan Shidler in the tiebreaker to take the match 8-7(1).
Singles began evenly with each team winning three first sets. The Tide would go on to win each of those matches in straight sets to take the team victory. Stuart Kenyon was first to finish on court six, collecting a dominant 6-1, 6-1 win over Shidler. Dunkle gave the Bulldogs their first point of the match as he posted a 6-4, 6-3 win over Botha on court one. Thomson would put the Tide back in front by two, winning 6-1, 6-2 from the No. 5 position over Sajonz. Daniil Proskura clinched the victory for Alabama on court two, with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Kadi.
Alabama will return home for its final regular season match on Saturday when it hosts Auburn for a 5 p.m. CT start.
"Samford played very hard and pushed us," added Pate. "I'm glad it was tough because that's what we want and need in terms of preparation for Auburn on Saturday."
RESULTS VS. UAB
1. No. 34 Doverspike/Botha (UA) def. Zimmerman/Puetz (UAB) 9-8(4)
2. Manlow/Moser (UAB) def. Reddy/Taborga (UA) 8-4
3. Vieyra/Tsangaridis (UA) def. Helliar/Dirube (UAB) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. No. 121 Ricky Doverspike (UA) def. Danny Manlow (UAB) 6-3, 6-4
2. Jarryd Botha (UA) vs. David Zimmerman (UAB) 6-4, 3-6, unf.
3. No. 102 Daniil Proskura (UA) vs. Chris Helliar 6-2, 5-4, unf.
4. No. 119 Vikram Reddy (UA) vs. Daniel Moser (UAB) 6-2, 4-3, unf.
5. David Vieyra (UA) def. Tom Puetz (UAB) 6-3, 6-4
6. Michael Thompson (UA) def. James Gardner (UAB) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5,1,6*
RESULTS VS. SAMFORD
1. No. 34 Doverspike/Botha (UA) def. Dunkle/Sajonz (SU) 8-6
2. Vieyra/Tsangaridis (UA) def. Barnwell/Shidler (SU) 8-7(1)
3. Barnard/van der Vis (UA) def. Costa/Kadi (SU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Zac Dunkle (SU) def. Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 102 Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Carson Kadi (SU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Elliott Barnwell (SU) def. No. 119 Vikram Reddy (UA) 7-6(4), 6-4
4. Fernando Costa (SU) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-1, 3-6, 5-1, ret.
5. Michael Thompson (UA) def. Alex Sajonz (SU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Ryan Shidler (SU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6,1,5,2*,4,3