April 7, 2013
Final Stats |
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The men's tennis team fell to 12th-ranked Texas A&M, 4-1, on Sunday at the Alabama Tennis Stadium. With the loss, the Crimson Tide dips to 12-10 on the season and 3-7 in the Southeastern Conference while the Aggies up their record to 14-11 overall and 5-5 versus league opponents.
Alabama took a 1-0 lead following doubles with wins on courts one and two, knocking off a pair of ranked opponents. First to finish was the matchup on court two, where the Tide's Daniil Proskura and Becker O'Shaughnessey topped 25th-ranked Harrison Adams and Shane Vinsant. The Aggies would take the match on court three, setting up for the point to be decided on court one, which was a battle throughout. In the tiebreaker, Texas A&M's Junior Ore and Jackson Withrow, ranked 11th in the nation, took a 3-0 lead before Alabama's 49th-ranked duo of Jarryd Botha and David Vieyra evened the score at 3-3. The Aggies would lead again late in the match, but Botha and Vieyra would rattle off three straight points to take the match 9-8(7).
Texas A&M came back in singles, winning four consecutive points to take the match. The Aggies were able to put up wins on courts one, four, five and six. The remaining two matches, which had both started third sets, were suspended once the fourth point was clinched.
Alabama will close out the regular season next weekend at No. 6 Tennessee and No. 4 Georgia. Friday's match against the Volunteers is slated for 1 p.m. CT, while Sunday's match versus the Bulldogs will begin at Noon CT.
1. No. 49 Botha/Vieyra (UA) vs. No. 11 Ore/Withrow (TAMU) 9-8(7)
2. Proskura/O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. No. 25 Adams/Vinsant (TAMU) 8-5
3. Efferding/Szabo (TAMU) def. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. No. 40 Jeremy Efferding (TAMU) def. No. 69 Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-3, 6-3
2. Daniil Proskura (UA) vs. Junior Ore (TAMU) 4-6, 6-3, 0-1, unf.
3. No. 91 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) vs. Harrison Adams (TAMU) 5-7, 7-5, unf.
4. No. 93 Shane Vinsant (TAMU) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-1, 6-1
5. No. 118 Jackson Withrow (TAMU) def. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 7-5, 6-3
6. Jordan Szabo (TAMU) def. Harris Barnard (UA) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4,1,5,6*