March 31, 2013
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -
The men’s tennis team fell to 14th-ranked Vanderbilt, 4-1, on Sunday at the Currey Tennis Center. With the loss, the Crimson Tide moves to 12-9 on the season and 3-6 against Southeastern Conference opponents, while the win brings the Commodores to 14-7 overall and 5-4 in the league.
Alabama had a dominant performance in doubles, earning wins on courts two and three to take a 1-0 lead. The Tide’s Becker O'Shaughnessey and Daniil Proskura were first to finish, posting an 8-2 victory on court two over Vanderbilt’s Gonzales Austin and Anton Kovrigin. Alabama’s Stuart Kenyon and Philippe Tsangarides followed that up on court three with an 8-4 win over the Commodores’ Rhys Johnson and Kris Lee to award the Tide the point.
Vanderbilt would come back in singles, winning four consecutive matches to take the overall victory. The Commodores clinched the win on court one as 17th-ranked Ryan Lipman won in three sets over No. 49 Botha, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. The remaining two matches were suspended once the fourth point was clinched.
Next up, Alabama will take on SEC newcomer Texas A&M in the Tide’s final home match of the regular season on Sunday, April 7, at 1 p.m. CT.
1. No. 49 Botha/Vieyra (UA) vs. Lipman/van der Merwe (VU) 7-7, unf.
2. O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. Austin/Kovrigin (VU) 8-2
3. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) def. Johnson/Yee (VU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3
1. No. 17 Ryan Lipman (VU) def. No. 69 Jarryd Botha (UA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 62 Gonzales Austin (VU) def. No. 91 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) 7-5, 6-4
3. Jeff Offerdahl (VU) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 6-3, 6-3
4. David Vieyra (UA) vs. Kris Yee (VU) 1-6, 6-3, 1-2, unf.
5. Marc van der Merwe (VU) def. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 6-4, 6-1
6. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) vs. Rhys Johnson (VU) 4-1, unf.
Order of Finish: 3,5,2,1*