March 29, 2013
LEXINGTON, Ky. -
The men’s tennis team fell to eighth-ranked Kentucky, 7-0, Friday at the Boone Tennis Complex. With the loss, the Crimson Tide dips to 12-8 overall and 3-5 in the Southeastern Conference, while the win lifts the Wildcats to 17-6 on the season and 5-3 against league opponents.
Kentucky took a 1-0 advantage after earning the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. First to finish was the matchup on court three where the Wildcat duo of Ryuji Hirooka and Beck Pennington topped Alabama’s Stuart Kenyon and Philippe Tsangarides, 8-1. Tom Jomby and Kevin Lai edged out the Tide’s Jarryd Botha and David Vieyra, 8-5, from court one to secure the point.
From there, Kentucky would take all six singles matches with the clincher coming on court four.
Alabama continues its road trip as it will take on No. 14 Vanderbilt on Sunday in Nashville, Tenn. The match is slated to begin at Noon CT.
1. No. 19 Jomby/Lai (UK) def. No. 49 Botha/Vieyra (UA) 8-5
2. O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) vs. Roberts/Rossi (UK) 4-4, unf.
3. Hirooka/Pennington (UK) def. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,1
1. No. 18 Anthony Rossi (UK) def. No. 69 Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 24 Tom Jomby (UK) def. No. 91 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) 7-6(2), 6-3
3. Charles Minc (UK) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0(11)
4. Grant Roberts (UK) def. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kevin Lai (UK) def. Carlos Taborga (UA) 6-3, 6-1
6. Beck Pennington (UK) def. Harris Barnard (UA) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6(4)
Order of Finish: 5,2,4*,1,6,3