March 24, 2013
Final Stats |
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The men’s tennis team dropped a 4-1 decision to South Carolina on Sunday at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility. With the loss, the Crimson Tide dips to 12-7 overall and 3-4 against Southeastern Conference opponents, while the win bring the Gamecocks to 13-7 on the season and 3-3 against league foes.
South Carolina took the 1-0 advantage after earning the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. First to finish was the matchup on court two where Gamecock senior Harry Menzies and sophomore Kyle Koch posted an 8-2 decision over Alabama junior Daniil Proskura and freshman Becker O'Shaughnessey. The other two matches would be played out indoors due to inclement weather. Carrying a 6-3 lead as play resumed inside, South Carolina juniors Tsvetan Mihov and Chip Cox would win the final two games to secure the 8-3 victory over Alabama senior Jarryd Botha and sophomore David Vieyra.
The Gamecocks won two quick singles contests to pull in front 3-0 before sophomore Stuart Kenyon got the Tide on the board with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 victory on court six against Menzies. The remaining three matches all went into third sets and were competitive throughout, but it would South Carolina sophomore Andrew Adams clinching the win for the Gamecocks as he came back to beat Proskura on court two, 0-6, 6-3, 6-2. Matches on courts one and three were suspended once the overall winner was determined.
Next up, Alabama hits the road for a pair of top-15 matchups as the Tide is slated to take on No. 4 Kentucky on Friday, March 29, followed by No. 13 Vanderbilt on Sunday, March 31. Both matches will start at 1 p.m. CT.
1. Mihov/Cox (SC) def. No. 72 Botha/Vieyra (UA) 8-3
2. Koch/Menzies (SC) def. No. 75 O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) 8-2
3. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) vs. Pinheiro/Barnette (SC) 6-5, unf.
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. No. 58 Jarryd Botha (UA) vs. No. 106 Tsvetan Mihov (SC) 4-6, 7-5, 3-0, unf.
2. Andrew Adams (SC) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. No. 79 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) vs. Thiago Pinheiro (SC) 6-3, 4-6, 1-5, unf.
4. Chip Cox (SC) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Kyle Koch (SC) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 7-5, 6-3
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Harry Menzies (SC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4,5,6,2*