March 22, 2013
Final Stats |
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The men’s tennis team dropped a 4-1 decision to 18th-ranked Florida on Friday indoors at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility. With the loss, the Crimson Tide dips to 12-6 overall and 3-3 against Southeastern Conference opponents, while the win lifts the Gators to 9-6 on the season and 3-2 in league play.
Florida edged out Alabama for the doubles point, taking the deciding match on court three, as Tide senior Jarryd Botha and sophomore David Vieyra topped Gator junior Stephane Piro and senior Bob van Overbeek, 8-4, on court one, while Florida senior Billy Federhofer and redshirt freshman Gordon Watson topped Alabama junior Daniil Proskura and freshman Becker O'Shaughnessey, 8-5, on court two. Gator juniors Michael Alford and Florent Diep led by as many as three games on court three, but Tide sophomores Stuart Kenyon and Philippe Tsangarides battled back to push the match into a tiebreaker after winning five of the last seven games. Alabama broke to take an early advantage in the tiebreaker, however the Florida duo would end up breaking back and eventually took the match, 9-8(5).
The Gators came out and won two quick matches in singles to pull ahead 3-0. From there, Botha would put the Tide on the board as he beat Diep, 7-6(6), 6-2 on court one. The remaining three matches were all close in second sets, but the Gator’s Piro would hold on, despite a second-set comeback from Proskura on court two, to clinch the match with a 7-5, 6-4 victory for Florida.
Next up, the Tide hosts South Carolina on Sunday, March 24, at 1 p.m. CT.
1. No. 72 Botha/Vieyra (UA) def. No. 57 Piro/van Overbeek (UF) 8-4
2. Watson/Federhofer (UF) def. No. 75 O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) 8-5
3. Alford/Diep (UF) def. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) 9-8(5)
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. No. 58 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. No. 75 Florent Diep (UF) 7-6(6), 6-2
2. Stephane Piro (UF) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 7-5, 6-4
3. No. 123 Bob van Overbeek (UF) def. No. 79 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) 6-3, 7-5
4. David Vieyra (UA) vs. Billy Federhofer (UF) 6-2, 3-4, unf.
5. Gordon Watson (UF) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) vs. Luke Johnson (UF) 3-6, 6-5, unf.
Order of Finish: 3,5,1,2*