March 10, 2013
Final Stats |
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The men's tennis team picked up its second Southeastern Conference victory of the weekend beating LSU, 6-1, on Sunday at the Alabama Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 11-5 overall and 2-2 in the league while the Tigers drop to 5-6 on the season and 0-4 versus league foes.
Alabama jumped in front after earning the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Becker O'Shaughnessey and Daniil Proskura closed out their match first, beating Roger Anderson and Tam Trinh, 8-6, thanks to a quick start. Stuart Kenyon and Philippe Tsangarides secured the point on court three, topping Olivier Borsos and Harrison Kennedy, 8-4.
The Tide got back-to-back wins in singles from O'Shaughnessey and Kenyon to put Alabama in front 3-0, before LSU posted its lone point of the afternoon with a win on court four. Proskura then delivered the clinching point as he came from behind to beat Borsos in a battle, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 on court two. David Vieyra and Jarryd Botha would tack on the final two points for Alabama with Vieyra winning, 7-6(0), 7-6(6) on court five and Botha 3-6, 7-5, 7-5 from the No. 1 spot.
Next up, the Tide heads to Auburn to take on the Tigers on Saturday, April 16. The match is slated to begin at Noon CT.
1. Botha/Vieyra (UA) vs. No. 41 Simpson/Szacinski (LSU) 7-6, unf.
2. O'Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. Anderson/Trinh (LSU) 8-6
3. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) def. Borsos/Kennedy (LSU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3
1. No. 100 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Chris Simpson (LSU) 3-6, 7-5, 7-5
2. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Olivier Borsos (LSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. No. 85 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. David Vieyra (UA) def. Mark Bowtell (LSU) 7-6(0), 7-6(6)
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3,6,4,2*,5,1