March 8, 2013
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -
After dropping the doubles point, the men's tennis team came back and swept all six singles matches to beat Arkansas, 6-1, on Friday at the Billingsley Tennis Center. With the win, the Crimson Tide moves to 10-5 overall and 1-2 against Southeastern Conference opponents while the Razorbacks dip to 11-6 on the season and 0-3 versus league foes.
Arkansas collected wins on courts one and three to take the 1-0 lead following doubles. On court one, Mike Nott and Manfred Jeske posted an 8-4 victory over Jarryd Botha and David Vieyra, which was followed by an 8-5 win on court three for Hall Fess and Santiago Munoz over Stuart Kenyon and Philippe Tsangarides. The match on court two was halted once the point was decided.
In singles, the Tide's first victory came on court six as Kenyon downed Fess, 6-3, 6-1. Tsangarides followed that up with a 6-2, 6-4 win on court four while Vieyra captured a 6-2, 6-4 victory of his own from court four over Nott. The match was then clinched on court two as Daniil Proskura held on to win the final two games of his second set for the 6-2, 7-5 decision. Becker O'Shaughnessey and Botha would complete the singles sweep for Alabama, each winning in three sets.
The Tide returns to the court on Sunday when it hosts LSU in a rare match where it will take on the Tigers simultaneously with the women's team. First serve is slated for 1 p.m. CT at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.
1. Nott/Jeske (ARK) def. Botha/Vieyra (UA) 8-4
2. O'Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) vs. Lehmann/Ward (ARK) 7-7, unf.
3. Fess/Munoz (ARK) def. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,3
1. No. 100 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-1
2. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Manfred Jeske (ARK) 6-2, 7-5
3. No. 85 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Mike Ward (ARK) 6-2, 6-7(4), 6-2
4. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) def. Mike Nott (ARK) 6-2, 6-4
5. David Vieyra (UA) def. Victor Hoang (ARK) 6-2, 6-4
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Hall Fess (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6,4,5,2*,3,1