March 3, 2013
Final Stats |
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The men's tennis team had another hard-fought effort come up just short as 10th-ranked Mississippi State held on for the 4-2 victory on Sunday at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility. With the loss, the Crimson Tide dips to 9-5 overall and 0-2 in Southeastern Conference play while the win brings the Bulldogs to 12-2 on the season and 2-0 against league opponents.
Alabama came out strong, taking the doubles point from Mississippi State after collecting wins on courts one and two. Jarryd Botha and David Vieyra led the entire match at the top spot, knocking off 24th-ranked Jordan Angus and Malte Stropp, 8-5. On court two, Becker O'Shaughnessey and Daniil Proskura battled their way back to outlast Ethan Wilkinson and Zach White, 8-6.
The Bulldogs jumped in front 3-1 following three straight wins in singles, coming on courts one, four and six; however the remaining three matches would come down to the wire. Botha awarded the Tide its second point of the match after a solid third-set performance to beat James Chaudry, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, but Mississippi State would secure the victory with a win on court five as White grinded out a third set tiebreaker to take the match over Vieyra, 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(5).
Alabama will head to Fayetteville, Ark., for its first SEC road match of the season when it takes on the Razorbacks on Friday at 1:30 p.m. CT. The Tide will then return home for Sunday's match against LSU, which will be played simultaneously with the women's match against the Tigers, beginning at 1 p.m. CT.
1. Botha/Vieyra (UA) def. No. 24 Angus/Stropp (MSU) 8-5
2. O'Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. Wilkinson/White (MSU) 8-6
3. Tsangarides/Kenyon (UA) vs. Bogaerts/Dumont (MSU) 8-7, unf.
Order of Finish: 1,2
1. No. 23 Romain Bogaerts (MSU) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 6-1, 6-4
2. No. 100 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. James Chaudry (MSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. No. 85 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) vs. Jordan Angus (MSU) 6-7, 7-5, 5-3, unf.
4. Stefan Vinti (MSU) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 6-3, 6-0
5. Zach White (MSU) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(5)
6. Pedro Dumont (MSU) def. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 6-1, 7-6(1)
Order of Finish: 4,1,6,2,5*