March 1, 2013
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The men’s tennis team fought its way back to tie the match at 3-3, but 13th-ranked Mississippi would hold on to win the final match to take a 4-3 victory on Friday at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility. With the loss, the Crimson Tide stands at 9-4 on the season and 0-1 in Southeastern Conference play while the Rebels improve to 6-2 overall and 1-0 in the league.
Doubles was tightly contested throughout the beginning of the match; however Mississippi would pull through on courts one and three to take a 1-0 lead. First to finish was the matchup on court two where Alabama’s Becker O'Shaughnessey and Daniil Proskura won five straight games to take an 8-3 victory over 49th-ranked Adrian Skogeng and William Kallberg. The Rebels would secure the doubles point on court three with an 8-4 win following an 8-4 win on court one.
Singles would come down to the wire as the Tide picked up three wins, first by Jarryd Botha on court two, who knocked off fifth-ranked Jonas Lutjen, 6-4, 6-3, followed by O’Shaughnessey, who beat 55th-ranked Kallberg, 7-5, 6-3. Stuart Kenyon awarded Alabama its third point of the night, winning 6-2, 7-5 on court six, leaving the decision to the matchup on court four. After dropping his first set 6-3, Philippe Tsangarides battled to take the second set 7-5, forcing a third, which would end up being played out in a tiebreaker. The breaker would go back and forth with both Tsangarides and Rebel netter Stefan Lindmark having match-point opportunities, but in the end, it would be Lindmark holding on to take the match 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(10) to edge out Tsangarides.
Next up, Alabama hosts No. 10 Mississippi on Sunday at the Alabama Tennis Stadium. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. CT.
1. No. 5 Scholtz/Lutjen (UM) def. Botha/Vieyra (UA) 8-4
2. O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. No. 49 Skogeng/Kallberg (UM) 8-3
3. Lindmark/Backstrom (UM) def. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. No. 12 Nik Scholtz (UM) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 100 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. No. 5 Jonas Lutjen (UM) 6-4, 6-3
3. No. 85 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. No. 55 William Kallberg (UM) 7-5, 6-3
4. No. 106 Stefan Lindmark (UM) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(10)
5. Johan Backstrom (UM) def. Harris Barnard (UA) 6-3, 6-4
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Adrian Skogeng (UM) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1,2,3,5,6,4*