Feb. 26, 2012
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The men's tennis team earned a 4-0 victory over Cornell on Sunday in its final match at the 2012 Blue Gray National Tennis Classic. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 5-4 on the season, while the loss drops to Big Red to 5-8.
“We’re pleased to win our last two matches here and finish up on a good note,” said Alabama head coach Billy Pate. “We had a positive start in doubles, and our top half started well in singles. Cornell made a push and really challenged us.”
Alabama jumped out to an early lead after securing the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Senior Michael Thompson and freshman Filippos Tsangaridis were first to finish, posting an 8-2 victory over freshmen Quoc-Daniel Nguyen and Danny Riggs. Junior Jarryd Botha and freshman David Vieyra clinched the point in impressive fashion, knocking off the 44th-ranked team of sophomore Venkat Iyer and freshman Alex Sidney.
In singles, Reddy would, once again, come up big for the Tide dominating Riggs at the No. 3 spot, 6-3, 6-1, to put Alabama in front 2-0. Despite dropping his first set, Vieyra would come back and cruise to a 4-6, 6-2, 6-0 win on court six over freshman Jason Luu. Senior Ricky Doverspike provided the match-clincher on court two with a 6-4, 6-3 win against freshman Sam Fleck.
“I was pleased with how our guys responded,” added Pate. “David, and Daniil (Proskura) for that matter, really turned things around in their matches. Both of them were playing progressively better as the match wore on. This was a quality win as Cornell was Ivy League Champions last season, so they’re a national caliber team.”
Next up, the Tide opens Southeastern Conference play on Friday, March 2, at Mississippi State. Opening serve is slated for 2 p.m. CT in Starkville.
1. Botha/Vieyra (UA) def. No. 44 Iyer/Sidney (COR) 8-4
2. Doverspike/Taborga (UA) vs. Luu/Fleck (COR) 4-6, unf.
3. Tsangaridis/Thompson (UA) def. Nguyen/Riggs (COR) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,1
1. Jarryd Botha (UA) vs. Venkat Iyer (COR) 6-2, 2-6, 4-3, unf.
2. Ricky Doverspike (UA) def. Sam Fleck (COR) 6-4, 6-3
3. No. 121 Vikram Reddy (UA) def. Danny Riggs (COR) 6-3, 6-1
4. No. 117 Daniil Proskura (UA) vs. Alex Sidney (COR) 2-6, 5-4, unf.
5. Michael Thompson (UA) vs. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (COR) 2-6, 7-5, unf.
6. David Vieyra (UA) def. Jason Luu (COR) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3,6,2*