Feb. 25, 2012
MONTGOMERY, Ala. -
The men’s tennis team (4-4) went 1-1 on Saturday at the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic, dropping a 4-0 decision against No. 23 Texas Tech (6-2) followed by a 4-2 win over Clemson (3-5). The Crimson Tide will play its final match of the tournament on Sunday when it takes on Cornell at 10 a.m. CT.
“I’m pleased with the way we battled in the Clemson match,” said Alabama head coach Billy Pate. “It was a hard-fought win, and we needed to bounce back after a disappointing start against Texas Tech. We simply pressed a bit and just didn’t play to our capability, but Texas Tech is very good all the way through.”
In the morning match, the Red Raiders picked up four straight-set wins for the team victory beginning on court five as junior Raphael Pfister topped freshman Filippos Tsangaridis, 6-1, 7-5. Senior Gonzalo Escobar was next to win for Texas Tech, posting a 6-3, 6-3 win over junior Jarryd Botha, while junior Gabriel Wanderley earned a 7-6, 6-0 victory over sophomore Carlos Taborga on court six. Senior Raony Carvalho clinched the match at No. 2 for the Red Raiders, claiming a 7-5, 6-3 win against Tide senior Ricky Doverspike.
In the afternoon match, Doverspike would give Alabama the early lead, posting a 6-3, 6-1 win against Tiger sophomore Dominique Maden on court two. Clemson evened things up with a win at No. 1 as junior Yannick Maden topped Botha, 6-2, 6-2. The lead would go back in the Tide’s favor as senior Michael Thompson won at No. 6, 6-1, 6-2 over senior Wes Moran, but again, the Tigers would tie it up with a 3-6, 7-6, 6-4 advantage on court five as freshman Cedric Willems topped Taborga. From there, Alabama would go on to take the final two matches as Proskura won 6-1, 7-6 on court four, while Reddy won 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 on court three to give the Tide the team victory.
“It was a little unique starting with singles first today, and maybe that had an effect on our slow start in the early match against Texas Tech,” said Pate. “Nonetheless, I’m proud of the way Daniil and Vikram performed in a clutch situation to help secure the win.”
For more information on the tournament, visit BlueGrayTennis.com.
RESULTS VS. TEXAS TECH
1. No. 33 Gonzalo Escobar (TTU) def. Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-3, 6-2
2. Raony Carvalho (TTU) def. Ricky Doverspike (UA) 7-5, 6-3
3. No. 121 Vikram Reddy (UA) vs. Rafael Garcia (TTU) 1-6, 3-4, unf.
4. No. 117 Daniil Proskura (UA) vs. Francisco Zambon (TTU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-2, unf.
5. Raphael Pfister (TTU) def. Filippos Tsangaridis (UA) 6-1, 7-5
6. Gabriel Wanderley (TTU) def. Carlos Taborga (UA) 7-6, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5,1,6,2*
RESULTS VS. CLEMSON
1. No. 75 Yannick Maden (CU) def. Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ricky Doverspike (UA) def. Dominique Maden (CU) 6-3, 6-1
3. No. 121 Vikram Reddy (UA) def. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. No. 117 Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Zachary Rigsby (CU) 6-1, 7-6
5. Cedric Willems (CU) def. Carlos Taborga (UA) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
6. Michael Thompson def. Wes Moran (CU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,1,6,5,4,3*