Feb. 23, 2013
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The men’s tennis team closed out its non-conference schedule with a pair of wins on Saturday, beating Furman and Southern Miss, 6-1. The Crimson Tide now stands at 9-3 on the season heading into Southeastern Conference play.
In the morning match against Furman (2-5), Alabama came out strong from the start, sweeping all three doubles matches for the 1-0 lead. Senior Jarryd Botha and sophomore David Vieyra were first to finish, collecting an 8-5 win on court one. Junior Carlos Taborga and sophomore Philippe Tsangarides followed with an 8-6 victory at No. 3 while junior Daniil Proskura and freshman Becker O'Shaughnessey completed the sweep with an 8-4 win on court two.
In singles, the Tide won the first four matches, en route to the team victory, with the clincher coming on court three. With the win, Proskura improved his singles season record in dual matches to 11-0. Also notching wins in singles against the Paladins was Botha on court one, coming back from a 5-3 deficit in the third-set tiebreaker to win 6-3, 3-6, 13-11, O'Shaughnessey on court two, Taborga on court five and senior Harris Barnard on court six.
Alabama would win its second doubles point of the day when it took on Southern Miss (7-4) in the afternoon, getting wins from Botha and Vieyra on court one and O’Shaughnessey and Proskura on court two.
O’Shaughnessey gave the Tide a 2-0 lead after cruising through his singles match, winning 6-1, 6-1 on court two against Golden Eagle sophomore Andrew Goodwin. Proskura, playing at the No. 1 spot for the first time this season, battled through a hard-fought first set then dominated the second, winning 6-4, 6-0, over sophomore Matt Frost. Southern Miss would get on the board with a win on court six and clawed its way back in the three remaining matches to make it a close finish. Barnard would end up clinching the victory for the Tide on court five, holding on for the 6-3, 7-5 victory over sophomore Inaki Belloso. Taborga put Alabama on top 5-1 with a 7-5, 7-6(2) win on court four while Tsangarides wrapped up the match with a 7-5, 7-6(3) victory from the No. 3 spot.
Alabama stars the SEC portion of its schedule at home against Mississippi and Mississippi State next weekend. The Tide will face the Rebels on Friday, March 1, at 3 p.m., while the match against the Bulldogs is slated for Sunday, March 3, at 1 p.m. CT.
RESULTS VS. FURMAN
1. Botha/Vieyra (UA) def. Mellow/Cook (FUR) 8-5
2. O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. Christ/Browne (FUR) 8-4
3. Taborga/Tsangarides (UA) def. Droll/Behal (FUR) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
1. No. 122 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Andrew Mellow (FUR) 6-3, 3-6, 13-11
2. No. 86 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Alex Christ (FUR) 6-1, 6-2
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Joel Cook (FUR) 6-2, 6-4
4. Jacob Behal (FUR) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 6-2, 2-6, 10-4
5. Carlos Taborga (UA) def. Matt Browne (FUR) 6-4, 6-3
6. Harris Barnard (UA) def. Robbie Aru (FUR) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,5,3*,6,4,1
RESULTS VS. SOUTHERN MISS
1. Botha/Vieyra (UA) def. Frost/Goodwin (USM) 8-3
2. O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) def. Belloso/Valverde (USM) 8-0
3. Taborga/Tsangarides (UA) vs. Escobar/Alvarado (USM) 2-5, unf.
Order of Finish: 1,2
1. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Matt Frost (USM) 6-4, 6-0
2. No. 86 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Andrew Goodwin (USM) 6-1, 6-1
3. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) def. Benjamin Feldmann (USM) 7-5, 7-6(3)
4. Carlos Taborga (UA) def. Paulo Alvarado (USM) 7-5, 7-6(2)
5. Harris Barnard (UA) def. Inaki Belloso (USM) 6-3, 7-5
6. Vasco Valverde (USM) def. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,1,6,5*,4,3