Feb. 15, 2013
CLEMSON, S.C. -
The men’s tennis team fell to Clemson, 5-2, on Friday at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center, moving the Crimson Tide to 7-3 on the season and the Tigers to 7-1 overall.
Clemson took a 1-0 edge in the match following doubles as it picked up wins on courts one and three. The Tigers earned an 8-2 victory at No. 3 before Alabama junior Daniil Proskura and sophomore David Vieyra evened the count with an 8-5 win on court two. Tide senior Jarryd Botha and freshman Becker O'Shaughnessey made a late run at No. 1, but it wouldn’t be enough as Clemson held on to win, 8-6.
The Tigers collected three straight victories in singles on courts one, five and six to clinch the team victory. Proskura put Alabama on the board with a 6-3, 6-3 win on court three, moving him to 10-0 on the season in singles. Clemson tacked on its fifth point of the match with a three-set victory on court two before sophomore Philippe Tsangarides claimed the final point of the match with a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 win on court four.
Alabama returns to action on Saturday, Feb. 23, when it hosts Furman and Southern Miss in a doubleheader beginning at 10 a.m. CT.
1. Y. Maden/Rigsby (CU) def. Botha/O'Shaughnessey (UA) 8-6
2. Proskura/Vieyra (UA) def. Wibowo/Ansari (CU) 8-5
3. Harrington/Meza (CU) def. Taborga/Tsangarides (UA) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. No. 83 Yannick Maden (CU) def. No. 86 Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) 6-2, 6-4
2. Hunter Harrington (CU) def. No. 122 Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Gerardo Meza (CU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) def. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
5. Zachary Rigby (CU) def. Harris Barnard (UA) 6-3, 6-1
6. Austin Ansari (CU) def. Carlos Taborga (UA) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6,5,1*, 3,2,4