Feb. 11, 2012
Final Stats |
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The men’s tennis team posted wins over Furman and Troy on Saturday at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility to improve to 3-3 on the season. The Crimson Tide first defeated the Paladins (0-5) in the morning match with a 6-1 decision and followed that up with a 7-0 sweep over the Trojans (0-4) in the afternoon match.
“I was pleased with many areas today, along with the performances of several players,” said Alabama head coach Billy Pate. “We were able to get a better look at some of our young guys while our top two players of Jarryd (Botha) and Ricky (Doverspike) really led us in both singles and doubles.”
In doubles against Furman, Alabama took an early 1-0 lead after doubles with wins on courts one and three. On court one, Tide juniors Ricky Doverspike and Jarryd Botha took an 8-6 win over Furman freshman Jacob Behal and junior Andrew Mellow. Despite a late Paladin rally after being down 7-4, Alabama junior Harris Barnard and freshman Stuart Kenyon took an 8-6 victory over Furman sophomore Nate Collins and senior George Watson.
In singles play, Alabama rattled off three quick victories on courts two, four and one to seal the victory. Doverspike finished first on court two with a dominating 6-2, 6-3 win over Paladin sophomore Alex Christ. In his dual match debut for Alabama, Tide freshman Filippos Tsangaridis earned a 6-2, 6-1 win over Furman sophomore Joel Cook. Botha provided the match-clinching win next on court one, fending off a late rally by the Paladin’s Mellow to win 6-2, 6-3. Freshman Rens van der Vis was next to win for the Tide, posting 7-5, 6-2 victory on court six over Collins. On court five, despite losing a tight second set, freshman David Vieyra rallied in the tiebreak in lieu of a third set 10-7.
In doubles play against Troy, Alabama quickly took the first point of the match with wins on courts one and three. On court one, Botha and Vieyra won 8-4 over Troy sophomore Patrick Eichler and freshman Ture Skinner. The Tide’s Doverspike partnered with van der Vis on court two to clinch the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Trojan sophomore Sami Ghorbel and junior Anas Rouchdi. Court three for Alabama completed the doubles sweep with an 8-6 win as the Tide tandem of Tsangaridis and senior Vikram Reddy downed Troy sophomores Jamie Eccleton and Mansingh Athare.
In singles, Kenyon led the way for Alabama with a dominating 6-0, 6-2 performance over Trojan sophomore Tadju Davies. Reddy scored the next point for Alabama with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Troy’s Athare on court three. Botha clinched the win for the Tide, finishing off Troy’s Rouchdi, 6-3, 6-2, on court one. In almost a photo finish for who would win first between court four and five, Alabama’s Tsangaridis defeated Eccleton of Troy 7-5, 6-1 on court four slightly before Vieyra finished an amazing comeback on court five to defeat Eichler 6-7(5), 6-1, 10-7.
“I thought we were a little sluggish and sloppy in doubles against Furman, but played much sharper in doubles against Troy,” added Pate. “It can be challenging for the guys to maintain 100 percent focus throughout a long doubleheader like this, but they handled it well, and we’re happy to get two wins and get ready for the Blue Gray in two weeks.”
Next up, the Tide will head to Montgomery for the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic, which begins on February 24.
Alabama vs. Furman
1. Doverspike/Botha (UA) def. Behal/Mellow (FUR) 8-6
2. Christ/Cook (FUR) def. Reddy/Tsangaridis (UA) 8-7(6)
3. Kenyon/Barnard (UA) def. Collins/George (FUR) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
1. Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Andrew Mellow (FUR) 6-2, 6-3
2. Ricky Doverspike (UA) def. Alex Christ (FUR) 6-2, 6-0
3. Jacob Behal (FUR) def. Vikram Reddy (UA) 2-6, 7-6 (10)
4. Filippos Tsangaridis (UA) def. Joel Cook (FUR) 6-2, 6-1
5. David Vieyra (UA) def. Robbie Aru (FUR) 6-3, 5-7 (7)
6. Rens van der Vis (UA) def. Nate Collins (FUR) 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,4,1*,6,5,3
Alabama vs. Troy
1. Botha/Vieyra (UA) def. Eichler/Skinner (TU) 8-4
2. Doverspike/van der Vis (UA) def. Eccleton/Athare (TU) 8-6
3. Tsangaridis/Reddy (UA) def. Ghorbel/Rouchdi (TU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Anas Rouchdi (TU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ricky Doverspike (UA) def. Sami Ghorbel (TU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Vikram Reddy (UA) def. Masingh Athare (TU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Filippos Tsangaridis (UA) def. Jamie Eccleton (TU) 7-5, 6-1
5. David Vieyra (UA) def. Patrick Eichler (TU) 6-7(5), 6-1, 10-7
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Tadju Davies (TU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6,3,1*,2,4,5