Feb. 6, 2013
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The men's tennis team split a pair of matches on Wednesday, beating UAB, 5-2, before being edged out by Samford, 4-3. The Crimson Tide now stands at 7-2 on the season while the Blazers move to 2-4 and the Bulldogs 2-1.
Alabama took the early edge in doubles as senior Jarryd Botha and freshman Becker O'Shaughnessey topped juniors Lucas Dirube and Chris Helliar, 8-2, but UAB would go on to win on court three and court one in a tiebreaker, to edge out the Tide for the doubles point.
Alabama battled its way back in singles, winning on five of the six to take the team victory over the Blazers. First to finish was sophomore David Vieyra on court five, who topped Dirube, 7-5, 6-2. Botha made is a 2-1 lead for the Tide as he beat senior David Zimmerman, 7-5, 6-3, on court one. O'Shaughnessey followed on court two, beating junior Rafael Rondino, 7-6(5), 6-4, while sophomore Philippe Tsangarides provided the clinching victory from the No. 4 spot, beating Helliar, 6-3, 7-6(4). Junior Daniil Proskura gave Alabama its final point of the match, winning in three sets, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, against senior Tom Puetz on court three.
In the night match against Samford, the Tide would jump ahead 1-0 after taking the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Botha and O'Shaughnessey dominated at the top spot, beating Bulldog seniors Zac Dunkle and Alex Sajonz, 8-3. Tsangarides and junior Carlos Taborga secured the second win on court three, beating freshmen Austin Akers and Fares Kilani, 8-5.
Alabama took a 2-0 lead in the match after senior Harris Barnard picked up a 6-2, 6-3 win in singles from court six; however, the Bulldogs would claim the next four victories to win the overall match. Proskura's match on court three would be played out, giving the Tide its third point as he came back to win, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Alabama returns to action on Friday, Feb. 15, when it takes on Clemson on the road. The match is slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. CT.
RESULTS VS. UAB
1. Zimmerman/Puetz (UAB) def. Proskura/Vieyra (UA) 8-7(3)
2. Botha/O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Helliar/Dirube (UAB) 8-2
3. Rondino/Pinto (UAB) def. Taborga/Tsangarides (UA) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. David Zimmerman (UAB) 7-5, 6-3
2. Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Rafael Rondino (UAB) 7-6(5), 6-4
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Tom Puetz (UAB) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) def. Chris Helliar (UAB) 6-3, 7-6(4)
5. David Vieyra (UA) def. Lucas Dirube (UAB) 7-5, 6-2
6. Luiz Felipe Pinto (UAB) def. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 3-6, 7-6(4), 6-4
Order of Finish: 5,1,2,4*,3,6
RESULTS VS. SAMFORD
1. Botha/O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Dunkle/Sajonz (SAM) 8-3
2. Proskura/Vieyra (UA) vs. Barnwell/Laduca (SAM) 7-5, unf.
3. Taborga/Tsangarides (UA) def. Akers/Kilani (SAM) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,3
1. Zac Dunkle (SAM) def. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-2, 6-3
2. Elliot Barnwell (SAM) def. Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Fares Kilani (SAM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Alex Sajonz (SAM) def. David Vieyra (UA) 7-6(), 2-6, 6-4
5. Austin Akers (SAM) def. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Harris Barnard (UA) def. Garrison Laduca (SAM) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6,5,1,2,4*,3