Feb. 2, 2013
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. -
The men's tennis team picked up a pair of wins on Friday over Ivy League competition as the Crimson Tide beat Cornell, 5-2, and Harvard 4-1, in a doubleheader at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Alabama now stands at 6-1 on the season while the Big Red moves to 1-1 and the Crimson to 1-2.
In the morning match against Cornell, Alabama won two of the three matches to claim the doubles point. First to finish was the matchup on court three where junior Carlos Taborga and sophomore Philippe Tsangarides cruised to an 8-3 decision over Big Red sophomores Kyle Berman and Jason Luu. Cornell evened the count with an 8-5 win on court one; however Tide junior Daniil Proskura and sophomore David Vieyra held on to win their match on court two, 8-7(4), over sophomores Sam Fleck and Quoc-Daniel Nguyen to give Alabama the 1-0 edge.
The Tide would claim wins at the top two spots in singles with senior Jarryd Botha posting a 6-1, 6-4 victory on court two while freshman Becker O'Shaughnessey came out on top, 6-4, 6-4, to put Alabama in front, 3-0, in the match. The Big Red would win the next two with victories on courts five and four; however a win for Proskura at No. 3 over Fleck, 6-4, 7-5, sealed the team win for the Tide. Sophomore Stuart Kenyon awarded Alabama the final point of the match on court six, coming back from a first-set loss against Berman, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
The Tide would also win the doubles point against Harvard with Taborga and Tsangarides downing freshmen Conor Haughey and Kelvin Lam, 8-3, on court three before Botha and O'Shaughnessey beat out sophomores Denis Nguyen and Alex Steinroeder, 8-5, on court one.
Wins from Proskura and Botha in singles would make it a 3-0 lead in favor of the Tide before the Crimson was able to earn its first, and only, point of the match with a victory on court four. O'Shaughnessey would close it out on court one, battling back after dropping his first set to beat Denis Nguyen 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(2).
Next up, Alabama returns home for a doubleheader with in-state foes UAB and Samford on Wednesday, Feb. 6. The Tide's match against the Blazers will begin at 1 p.m. CT with the match against the Bulldogs to follow at 6 p.m. CT.
RESULTS VS. CORNELL
1. Iyer/Sidney (CU) def. Botha/O'Shaughnessey (UA) 8-5
2. Proskura/Vieyra (UA) def. Fleck/Nguyen (CU) 8-7(4)
3. Taborga/Tsangarides (UA) def. Berman/Luu (CU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Venkat Iyer (CU) 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Alex Sidney (CU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Sam Fleck (CU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Jason Luu (CU) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 7-5, 6-4
5. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (CU) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-3, 6-4
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Kyle Berman (CU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,1,5,4,3*,6
RESULTS VS. HARVARD
1. Botha/O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. D. Nguyen/Steinroeder (HU) 8-5
2. Proskura/Vieyra (UA) vs. A. Nguyen/Hu (HU) 6-5, unf.
3. Taborga/Tsangarides (UA) def. Haughey/Lam (HU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,1
1. Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Denis Nguyen (HU) 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(2)
2. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Shaun Chaudhuri (HU) 7-6(3), 6-3
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Alex Steinroeder (HU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Andy Nguyen (HU) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Carlos Taborga (UA) vs. Nicky Hu (HU) 0-6, 2-2, unf.
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) vs. Kelvin Lam (HU) 2-4, unf.
Order of Finish: 3,2,4,1*