Jan. 27, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -
The men's tennis team ended its stay at Wake Forest with a pair of wins on Sunday, first in 4-1 fashion over New Mexico, followed by a 4-3 victory against Penn State at the Wake Forest Indoor Tennis Center. With the wins, the Crimson Tide now stands at 4-1 on the season overall.
After dropping the doubles point to the Lobos on Saturday evening, Alabama came back Sunday morning and dominated at the top of the lineup, winning at all four positions. First to finish was Tide freshman Becker O'Shaughnessey, who downed sophomore Samir Iftikhar, 6-4, 6-1, on court two. Junior Daniil Proskura was next to win for Alabama as he topped senior Conor Berg, 6-4, 6-2, from the No. 3 spot. Sophomore David Vieyra put the Tide ahead 3-1 in the match as he posted a 7-6(5), 6-3 win over freshman Riann De Toit before the match was eventually clinched by senior Jarryd Botha on court one with a 6-1, 6-7(2), 6-3 victory against senior Jadon Phillips.
Alabama captured its first doubles point of the weekend against Penn State with wins on courts one and two. Botha and O'Shaughnessey gave the Tide an edge as they beat Nittany Lion junior Russell Bader and freshman Roman Trkulja, 8-5. Penn State evened the count with a win on court three as seniors C.J. Griffin and Bryan Welnetz posted an 8-4 decision over Tide junior Carlos Taborga and sophomore Philippe Tsangarides, leaving the point to be decided on court two. In the end, it would be Proskura and Vieyra coming out on top, with an 8-6 win to claim the point for Alabama.
The Nittany Lions would take a 2-1 lead in the match after winning the first two singles matches, but the Tide would go on to win the next two as Proskura beat Trkulja, 6-2, 6-4, while Botha edged out Welnetz in a third set, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5. Penn State evened the match again with a win on court five, placing focus to court two to determine the match victor. After dropping the first set, 6-7(3), O'Shaughnessey battled through a tough second set and cramps in the third to hold on and win 7-5, 6-1, to give the Tide the team victory.
Next up, Alabama will head to Flushing, N.Y. to play a doubleheader with Cornell and Harvard on Friday, Feb. 1, at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. CT, respectively.
RESULTS VS. NEW MEXICO
1. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Jadon Phillips (NM) 6-1, 6-7 (2), 6-3
2. Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Samir Iftikhar (NM) 6-4, 6-1
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Conor Berg (NM) 6-4, 6-2
4. David Vieyra (UA) def. Riaan Du Toit (NM) 7-6 (5), 6-3
5. Mitch McDaniell (NM) vs. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 6-1, 1-1, unf.
6. James Hignett (NM) vs. Harris Barnard (UA) 5-1, unf.
Order of Finish: 2,3,4,1
RESULTS VS. PENN STATE
1. Botha/O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Bader/Trkulja (PSU) 8-5
2. Proskura/Vieyra (UA) def. Chen/Young (PSU) 8-6
3. Griffin/Welnetz (PSU) def. Tsangarides/Taborga (UA) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
1. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Brian Welnetz (PSU) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
2. Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) 6-7 (3), 7-5, 6-1
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Roman Trkulja (PSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Chris Young (PSU) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
6. Matt Barry (PSU) def. Carlos Taborga (UA) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4,6,3,1,5,2*