Jan. 26, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -
The men’s tennis team (2-1) dropped a 4-3 decision to Wake Forest (4-0) and was edged out in the doubles point against New Mexico at the Wake Forest Indoor Tennis Center on Saturday. The Crimson Tide will play the singles portion of its match against the Lobos on Sunday morning at 9 a.m. CT and will follow that up with a dual match against Penn State at Noon CT.
In doubles action against the Demon Deacons, Alabama fell by a pair of 8-5 decisions on courts one and three. First to finish was the matchup at the No. 3 spot, where senior Danny Kreyman and freshman Sam Bloom topped Tide junior Carlos Taborga and sophomore Philippe Tsangarides. On court one, seniors David Hopkins and Amogh Prabhakar secured the point with the win over Alabama senior Jarryd Botha and freshman Becker O’Shaughnessey.
The top four positions would take the courts first in singles, where Wake Forest won three of the four first sets. The Demon Deacons made it a 2-0 lead in the match as freshman Jon Ho posted a 6-3, 6-3 decision over sophomore David Vieyra. Prabhakar, ranked 59th in the nation in singles, followed that up with a 7-5, 7-6(6) victory over O’Shaughnessey on court two. From there, the Tide would win the next two matches, with 79th-ranked Botha bouncing back from a first-set loss to win, 0-6, 6-3, 6-2 over Hopkins on court one while Proskura tacked on a 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 victory over No. 90 Kreyman on court three. The match would be decided on court six as Bloom held on to beat Taborga, 6-2, 6-3. Tsangarides gave Alabama its third point in the match, beating junior Adam Lee, 6-3, 4-6, 10-4, on court five.
All three of the Tide’s doubles matches against New Mexico went into tiebreakers and would end up finishing with identical scores of 8-7(4). Alabama took the early edge as Taborga and Tsangarides topped Lobo junior Mads Hegelund and freshman Andrew Van der Vyver. From there, however, New Mexico would win both remaining decisions to take the point.
For more information on the men’s tennis team, like the Tide on Facebook by searching for AlabamaMTN and follow the team on Twitter @AlabamaMTN.
RESULTS VS. WAKE FOREST
1. Hopkins/Prabhakar (WF) def. Botha/O’Shaughnessey (UA) 8-5
2. Proskura/Vieyra (UA) vs. Ho/Lee (WF) 6-6, unf.
3. Kreyman/Bloom (WF) def. Tsangarides/Taborga (UA) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,1
1. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. David Hopkins (WF) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 59 Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Becker O’Shaughnessey (UA) 7-5, 7-6(6)
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. No. 90 Danny Kreyman (WF) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Jon Ho (WF) def. David Vieyra (UA) 6-3, 6-3
5. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) def. Adam Lee (WF) 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
6. Sam Bloom (WF) def. Carlos Taborga (UA) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4,2,1,3,6*,5
RESULTS VS. NEW MEXICO
1. Berg/Phillips (NM) def. Botha/O'Shaughnessey (UA) 8-7(4)
2. Du Toit/Hignett (NM) def. Proskura/Vieyra (UA) 8-7(4)
3. Taborga/Tsangarides (UA) def. Hegelund/Van der Vyver (NM) 8-7(4)
Order of Finish: 3,1,2