Jan. 19, 2013
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The men's tennis team began the 2013 dual-match season with a pair of 7-0 victories over Alabama State and Jackson State on Saturday at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility. The Crimson Tide won four of the six doubles matches, while the other two were suspended once the point was clinched, and took all 12 singles matches in straight sets.
In the morning match against Alabama State, Alabama senior Jarryd Botha and freshman Becker O'Shaughnessey cruised out to an early lead over Hornet sophomore Bobby Brand and senior Alexis Pierre to eventually win the match, 8-2. Senior Harris Barnard and sophomore Stuart Kenyon would clinch the point for the Tide with an 8-1 decision over Alabama State freshmen Julian Cseszko and Roderick Williams, 8-1.
In singles, Kenyon posted the first win for Alabama with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Williams, which was followed by a 6-0, 6-1 victory for 79th-ranked Botha over Brand. Junior Daniil Proskura would clinch the team victory for Alabama on court three as he downed Hornet freshman Jerred Thompson, 6-1, 6-1. From there, O'Shaughnessey would post a 6-1, 6-1 win over Pierre followed by a 6-0, 6-2 victory for sophomore Philippe Tsangarides over sophomore Stefan Vojnic. Barnard completed the first sweep of the day for the Tide with a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Cseszko.
Alabama made quick work of Jackson State in doubles as well as Tsangarides and junior Carlos Taborga shut out freshmen Hernan Reines and Ernesto Morales, 8-0, before Botha and O'Shaughnessey clinched the point with an 8-2 victory over junior Carlos Martinez and freshman Camilo Patino.
Botha was first to finish in singles, this time playing on court two, as he downed Luque, 6-1, 6-0. Barnard and Tsangarides would finish within seconds of each other on courts six and four, respectively, securing the team victory for the Tide. Next to finish was O'Shaughnessey on court one as he topped Patino, 6-0, 6-1, which was followed by a 6-0, 6-2 win for Proskura on court three. Kenyon closed out the match with a pair of late breaks to complete the sweep for Alabama with a 6-1, 7-5 decision over Morales on court five.
Next up, the Tide will head to Winston Salem, N.C., for the Wake Forest Spring Invite, which will take place Jan. 26-27.
You can find more news on the men's tennis team by liking the Tide on Facebook or following the team on Twitter @AlabamaMTN.
RESULTS VS. ALABAMA STATE
1. Botha/O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Brand/Pierre (ASU) 8-2
2. Proskura/Vieyra (UA) vs. Vojnic/Thompson (ASU) 6-2, unf.
3. Barnard/Kenyon (UA) def. Cseszko/Williams (ASU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 1,3
1. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Bobby Brand (ASU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Alexis Pierre (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Jerred Thompson (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) def. Stefan Vojnic (ASU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Roderick Williams (ASU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Harris Barnard (UA) def. Julian Cseszko (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5,1,3*,2,4,6
RESULTS VS. JACKSON STATE
Doubles 1. Botha/O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Martinez/Patino (JSU) 8-2
2. Taborga/Tsangarides (UA) def. Reines/Morales (JSU) 8-0
3. Conlon/Kenyon (UA) vs. Luque/Milosavljevic (JSU) 6-2, unf.
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. Becker O'Shaughnessey (UA) def. Camilo Patino (JSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. No. 79 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. Jose Luque (JSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Carlos Martinez (JSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) def. Hernan Geria Reines (JSU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Ernesto Morales (JSU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Harris Barnard (UA) def. Marko Milosavljevic (JSU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2,6,4*, 1,3,5