Thursday, November 10, 2005
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- The No. 4 University of Alabama football team wrapped up a good week of preparation Thursday evening for Saturday's Southeastern Conference game with the No. 5 LSU Tigers.
"Practice went well," Alabama head coach Mike Shula said. "I thought it was really enthusiastic. I don't know if that is because of the game or the weather or a little bit of both. We have had three good days this week.
"Once agian, we will rely on our seniors to help keep this team focused and prepared. We have our walk through tomorrow and get ready to have our best day on Saturday. We are going to have to be at our best for this game."
Alabama and LSU will kickoff at 2:40 p.m. (CT) this Saturday from Bryant-Denny Stadium. The game will be televised by CBS Sports.
- Coach Shula said that freshman Cory Reamer (Hoover) "underwent successful surgery today on his left knee to repair his ACL." Dr. Lyle Cain and Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery in Birmingham. Shula said the surgery "went fine and it will probably be about a six-month rehab, so that takes us past spring ball, but we will have him back next year."
- Shula also noted that senior center JB Closner (San Antonio, Texas) "had successful surgery and he is out of the hospital. As far as him making it back for the bowl game that is doubtful at best right now and that is a tough thing." Shula said that Dr. Cain and Dr. Andrews performed the surgery on Tuesday in Birmingham.
- Junior wide receiver Tyrone Prothro (Heflin) attended practice on Thursday. He watched practice from a golf cart and was also moving around on crutches.
- The Alabama-LSU game will be the first game in the history of Bryant-Denny Stadium featuring two teams ranked in the AP Top 5.
- The LSU game will mark the final home game for 23 Alabama seniors. The list includes Mark Anderson, Justin Ballard, Taylor Britt, Brandon Brooks, JB Closner, Jake Collins, Brodie Croyle, Rudy Griffin, Roman Harper, Victor Horn,
Juke King, Stephen Kulback, Drew Lane, Anthony Madison, Greg McLain, Matt Miller, Charlie Peprah, Freddie Roach,
DeMeco Ryans, Mark Sanders, Ryan Saxby, Jeremy Schatz and David Steakley.
- Alabama captains for the LSU game are Croyle (offense), Ryans (defense) and Harper (special teams).