GAME NOTES ?? ALABAMA GAME
Sept. 8, 2007
Final Score: Alabama 24, Vanderbilt 10
Vanderbilt is now 1-1, 0-1 on the season. The Commodores continue to struggle in Southeastern Conference openers, falling to 1-9 in their last 10 games.The Commodores return to action next Saturday in a home match-up against annual SEC West Rival Ole Miss.
Pregame Notes: Vanderbilt and Alabama are playing before a sellout crowd of 39, 773 in Vanderbilt Stadium. It marks the second sellout in the last three games in the stadium.
- Jeff Jennings (R-Jr.) earned his first start at tailback in more than a year. Jennings missed the 2006 season with a knee injury suffered on Nov. 12, 2005.
- With 5:02 left in the first quarter, LB Marcus Buggs (R-Sr.) stopped an Alabama drive with a five-yard sack of QB John Parker Wilson.
- Cassen Jackson-Garrison stopped Vanderbilt’s fourth possession with a 25-yard rush. QB Chris Nickson then connected with TE Justin Green for 17 yards with 3:25 left. It was Green’s first career reception. Junior Bryant Hahnfeldt successfully concluded the drive with a 33-yard FG.\
- With 14:26 left in the second quarter, Reshard Langford gave Vanderbilt excellent field possession with an interception ?? his seventh career pick. The Commodores were not able to get points off the turnover.
The Commodores were hurt by penalties in the first half:
- An offensive pass interference negated a 60-yard reception by Earl Bennett on the first play of the game;
- A facemask infraction negated an apparent 73-yard punt return for a touchdown by Alex Washington;
- Two Vanderbilt penalties, resulting in 26-net yards, on a single play helped Bama get in position for a late second quarter FG..
- Earl Bennett: Caught four passes for 52 yards. He moved into third place all-time among Commodores in receiving yardage, passing Martin Cox (1975-78). He has 2,297 yards for his career.
- Bennett also surpassed former Tennessee receiver Marcus Nash on the SEC list for career receptions. He now ranks 13th place all-time among SEC receivers with 178 catches.
- Justin Wheeler (R-So., WR) and Justin Green (R-Fr., TE) caught their first three passes of their Commodore careers’.
- Mackenzi Adams (R-So., QB) completed 13 of 23 passes in a relief role for starter Chris Nickson. Adams connected with George Smith on a 15-yard TD in the fourth quarter. It was Adams’ first career scoring strike. The 13 completions is a single-game high for Adams.
- For the second straight game, D.J. Moore (So., CB) posted double-digit tackles. He had 12 against Alabama, one week after posting 11 vs. Richmond.
- Marcus Buggs put together a solid effort on defense, contributing eight tackles, two tackles for loss including a sack, and a pair of quarterback hurries.