Nov. 17, 2012
Recap | Final Stats | Quotes | Photo Gallery
ALABAMA POST-GAME NOTES VS. WESTERN CAROLINA
• Alabama’s captains for the Western Carolina game were C.J. Mosley, Eddie Lacy and Jeremy Shelley. Alabama won the toss and elected to receive the opening kickoff.
• With the Alabama win, the Crimson Tide is now 2-0 against Western Carolina. The last win (9.1.07) was vacated as this marked the third meeting between the two teams.
• Alabama earned its fifth consecutive 10-win season with the victory over Western Carolina. The Tide now has 32 10-win seasons and five in a row for the first time since 1971-75.
• In his sixth season at Alabama, head coach Nick Saban has led the Crimson Tide to a 15-8 record in November. Four of the eight losses came in 2007.
• Alabama has won 18 non-conference games in a row and sports a 25-3 record under head coach Nick Saban. UA is 4-0 this season, outscoring its non-conference foes, 165-21.
• With the win over Western Carolina, Alabama is now 59-3 when leading at the half under head coach Nick Saban.
• Today’s paid attendance is 101,126.
• Alabama defeated Western Carolina, 49-0. It marks the sixth time this season the Crimson Tide has scored 40 or more points.
• The Tide found the endzone five times on the ground against Western Carolina. It is the most since Alabama scored six at Arkansas and Missouri.
• In drives that started with an offensive snap, Alabama scored on its first five possessions. That is the most to start a game since the Tide scored five times in a row against Michigan State at the Capital One Bowl (1.1.11).
• Alabama is 47-0 since the start of the 2008 season when the Tide rushes for at least 150 yards. With the 300 yard rushing performance against WCU, the Tide has now rushed for 300 yards or more for the second time this season (362, Missouri).
• Alabama scored 21 points in the first quarter against Western Carolina. It is the third time this season the Crimson Tide has posted a 21-0 advantage in the opening quarter (Michigan & Missouri). UA has outscored its opponents, 125-26 in the first quarter.
• Alabama scored 42 first half points against Western Carolina. The 42 points are the most scored in the first half this season and the most since the Tide put 42 on the board against Georgia State on Nov. 18, 2010.
•Alabama has scored at least one rushing touchdown in all but one game this season. The Tide has scored two or more in seven games, including five in a row.
• Alabama defensive back Deion Belue returned a fumble 57 yards for a touchdown. It was the first fumble returned for a touchdown this season for the Tide and the third non-offensive touchdown on the season (C.J. Mosley, INT & Christion Jones KR).
• Under head coach Nick Saban, the Crimson Tide has held opponents to 10 points or less 39 times since the start of the 2007 season. Alabama has shutout opponents nine times during the Saban tenure.
• During head coach Nick Saban’s last 65 games at the Capstone, the Crimson Tide defense has held the opposing offense to less than 200 yards of total offense 25 times, including four times in 2012.
Special Teams Notes
• Senior Jeremy Shelley is still the only kicker in the nation yet to miss an extra point or a field goal in 2012. Thus far, Shelley has hit all 53 of his extra point attempts and all nine of his field goals.
Career Touchdown Passes
TD Name Years
47 John Parker Wilson 2005-08
41 Brodie Croyle 2002-05
40 AJ McCarron 2010-present
39 Greg McElroy 2007-10
Single Season Touchdown Passes
TD Name Year
21 AJ McCarron 2012
20 Greg McElroy 2010
• Alabama will host rival Auburn in the Iron Bowl on Saturday, Nov. 24. Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m., and will be televised by CBS.
Western Carolina Post-Game Notes
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina dropped its 10th-straight football game to close 2012 after winning its season-opener … it was also the third all-time defeat for the Catamounts at Alabama;
- Western Carolina finished 1-10 under first-year head coach Mark Speir … It’s the fourth, one-win season for a first-year Catamount head football coach joining James Whatley (1-6-1 in 1939); Marion McDonald (1-3 in 1945) and Dan Robinson (1-9 in 1956);
- WCU fell to 0-3 all-time against nationally-ranked FBS opponents … All three losses have come against nationally-ranked teams from the Southeastern Conference (SEC) – at No. 3 Florida (62-0, 11/18/06) and at #23 Georgia (45-16, 9/15/07);
- Alabama scored 21 points in the first quarter, matching the most allowed in the opening frame of a game by Western Carolina in the 2012 season … Elon also scored 21 first quarter points in a road loss for WCU back on October 20;
- The Crimson Tide scored 42 first half points … It is the eighth time this season that the Catamounts have surrendered 40-or-more points to an opponent;
- WCU was shutout in a game for the first time since Sept. 5, 2009, a 45-0 loss at another SEC-foe, Vanderbilt … It halts the Catamounts string of scoring points in 43-straight games … Dating back to the final two quarters against Southern Conference foe, Chattanooga, WCU did not scored in six-consecutive quarters to end the season;
- Alabama’s Deion Blue’s 57-yard fumble return for a touchdown was the first score on a fumble recovery against the Catamounts since Nov. 12 of 2011 when Logan Hallock of Appalachian State fell on an offensive fumble in the end zone … it was the first fumble return for a touchdown by Alabama this season while also representing the Tide’s third non-offensive touchdown in 2012;
- Western Carolina held Alabama on its first possession of the fourth quarter, forcing the first punt by the Crimson Tide offense … the defensive stop halted a string of six-straight scoring drives by Alabama;
-After giving up 42 first half points, the Catamount defense held the Crimson Tide to just seven second half points, with the lone touchdown coming on Alabama’s first offensive drive of the third quarter;
- Sophomore WR Garrett Brown made his first reception since the Furman game (Sept. 29), catching a 28-yard pass from quarterback Troy Mitchell;
- In the second half, junior Jamil James made his first career reception, hauling in a 30-yard pass from Eddie Sullivan on a crossing route and maneuvered up the right sideline … It was the longest play from scrimmage for the Catamounts on the afternoon … WCU was unable to capitalize on the play, though, failing to get a first down on a fourth and short inside the Crimson Tide red zone;
- Senior Rock Williams finished the day with three tackles, giving him 108 for the season and 319 for his WCU career ... Williams finished his career in seventh on WCU's career tackles chart, just one shy of a two-way tie with Bernard Jones (1981-84) and Ricky Smith (1977-80), both of which had 320 career stops.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: senior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior linebacker #32 Nathaniel Sedergren; senior linebacker #51 Rock Williams; and senior offensive lineman #65 Teddy Rhoney … Alabama won the opening coin toss and elected to receive the opening kickoff … WCU received to start the second half;
- Western Carolina had 15 football players participate in their game for the Purple & Gold on Saturday afternoon in Tuscaloosa: #1 Elijer Martinez, DB; #4 Jacoby Mitchell, WR; #5 Michael Johnson, RB; #6 Mike Anderson, DB; #25 Michael Vaughn, RB; #32 Nathaniel Sedergren, LB; #45 Nick Woodard, DL; #51 Rock Williams, LB; #65 Teddy Rhoney, OL; #78 Ryan Moore, OL; #85 Conner Orr, TE; #88 Nate Stephenson, TE; #90 Rainey Ala, DL; #95 Bevans Robbs, DL; #96 Eric Banford, DL … WCU also saw three senior support staff students work their final game as undergraduates: Jonathan Arrowood, Edixon Pino-Alvarez and Nathaniel Touchberry.