Oct. 5, 2013
Final Stats |
Alabama Football vs. Georgia State Postgame Notes
• Alabama’s captains against Georgia State were AJ McCarron, C.J. Mosley and Deion Belue. Georgia State won the toss and elected to defer the opening kickoff.
• With the win Alabama leads the series with Georgia State, 2-0.
• Alabama had four true freshmen start in today’s game against Georgia State. Defensive lineman A’Shawn Robinson got the first start of his Crimson Tide career, while Cole Mazza made his fifth at long snapper, O.J. Howard his fourth at tight end and Eddie Jackson his third at defensive back.
• With the win, Alabama is 29-3 against nonconference opponents under head coach Nick Saban. Alabama has won 22 in a row against non-SEC opposition. During Saban’s tenure, the Tide has outscored those opponents 1,221-342.
• With Christion Jones’ 8-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter, Alabama has scored in 161 consecutive games – the longest streak in program history.
• With today’s win, the Crimson has won 18-of-19 games in the month of October over the past five seasons. The Tide was 3-0 in 2008, 4-0 in 2009 before a blemish and a 3-1 mark in 2010 (loss at South Carolina). UA went 4-0 in 2011 and 3-0 in 2012. Alabama has now won 10 straight in October after the win against Georgia State.
• Today’s attendance at Bryant-Denny Stadium was 101,254.
• AJ McCarron broke the school record for highest completion percentage in a game with a minimum of 15 completions. The senior quarterback finished the game at 93.75 percent (15-16), surpassing Ken Stabler’s 84.2 percent (16-19) set at Ole Miss on Oct. 1, 1966.
• AJ McCarron completed 12 straight passes before tossing one incomplete in the second quarter. His 12 consecutive completions ranks tied for third in the Alabama record books with John Parker Wilson (Tennessee – Oct. 25, 2008; Arkansas State – Nov. 1, 2008) and Andrew Zow (Ole Miss – Oct. 14, 2000).
• In approximately 26 minutes of play in the first half, AJ McCarron tossed four touchdowns, tying his career high as well as the second most touchdown passes in a game in Tide history. McCarron has accomplished this feat six other times, most recently at Texas A&M on Sept. 14, 2013.
• The Crimson Tide saw 15 different players record receptions in today’s win over Georgia State. It was the second time this season Alabama has had double-digit receivers with the first coming at Texas A&M (10) on Sept. 14.
• With the win, Alabama is 54-0 since the start of the 2008 season when rushing for at least 140 yards.
• For the sixth time in its last nine games, Alabama has held its opponent scoreless in the first half. In addition to today’s game, the Crimson Tide shut out Ole Miss (Sept. 28, 2013), Colorado State (Sept. 21, 2013), Notre Dame (Jan. 7, 2013), Auburn (Nov. 24, 2012) and Western Carolina (Nov. 17, 2012) during the first two quarters of play.
• Under head coach Nick Saban, the Crimson Tide has held opponents to 10 points or fewer 44 times since the start of the 2007 season.
• During head coach Nick Saban’s last 73 games at the Capstone (since the start of the 2008 season), the Crimson Tide defense has held the opposing offense to fewer than 200 yards of total offense 27 times. Alabama limited Georgia State to 175 yards and nine first downs.