Jan. 8, 2013
Final Stats |
• Alabama’s captains for the Discover BCS Championship Game were Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack and Damion Square. Notre Dame won the toss deferred the opening kickoff.
• With the Alabama , the Crimson Tide is now 2-5 against Notre Dame. It marked the first win for the Tide over the Irish in a bowl game.
• With the win the Crimson Tide claimed its 15th national championship and third in the last four years.
• With the win over Notre Dame, Alabama is now 62-3 when leading at the half under head coach Nick Saban.
• With the win, Alabama head coach Nick Saban is 8-1 in championship games.
SEC Championship 2001 W
SEC Championship 2003 W
BCS Championship 2003 W
SEC Championship 2008 L
SEC Championship 2009 W
BCS Championship 2009 W
BCS Championship 2011 W
SEC Championship 2012 W
BCS Championship 2012 W
• Tonight’s actual attendance is 80,120. The mark is a new Sun Life Stadium record.
• Alabama’s 2012 senior class has won a school record 49 games over the past four seasons while losing only five contests. The 48 wins is tied for the second most in college football history and ranks among the best four-year totals in Southeastern Conference history (Florida won 48 games from 2006-09 and Alabama won 48 from 2008-11). Nebraska holds the record for senior class wins among BCS schools, with the 1997 Cornhuskers class posting a 49-2 record and three national championships. Earlier senior classes from Oklahoma (2003), Southern California (2005 & 2006), Florida (2009) and Alabama (2011) all have accumulated 48 wins.
Most Wins by a Senior Class (among BCS schools)
Team Sr. Season W-L Titles
Alabama 2012 49-5 3
Nebraska 1997 49-2 3
Alabama 2011 48-6 2
Florida 2009 48-7 2
Southern California 2006 48-4 2
Southern California 2005 48-4 2
Oklahoma 2003 48-6 1
Oklahoma 2004 47-7 0
Miami 2003 46-4 1
Florida 1996 46-6 1
• The Crimson Tide has 61 victories since the start of the 2008 season, the most in a five-year span in SEC history and tied with Nebraska (1993-97) for the most in major college football. By beating Auburn on Nov. 24, the Crimson Tide passed the SEC record (58) established by the Florida teams of 2005-09.
• Dating back to the start of the 2008 season, Alabama has won 61 games (most in the Football Bowl Subdivision). The Crimson Tide won 12 games in 2008, followed by a perfect 14-0 record in 2009, a 10-3 mark in 2010 and a 12-1 record in 2011. Alabama went 13-1 in 2012.
• Alabama is 50-0 since the start of the 2008 season when the Tide rushes for at least 150 yards.
• Alabama has scored at least one rushing touchdown in all but one game this season and has scored two or more in nine straight games and 11 times overall.
• Alabama running back Eddie Lacy finished the season with 17 rushing touchdowns on the season. His 17 rushing touchdowns rank tied for third in the single season annals. His 30 career rushing touchdowns rank sixth in the record books.
• AJ McCarron threw four touchdowns in the championship game, moving his career total to a school record 49, passing John Parker Wilson’s mark of 47.
• Freshman Amari Cooper caught two touchdown passes in the championship game. That moves his single season total to a school record 11, passing Al Lary’s (1950) mark of 10.
• Cooper became only the fourth player in Alabama history to gain 1,000 receiving yards in a season, only the fifth time that mark has been achieved in Crimson Tide history.
• Alabama entered the locker room at the half holding Notre Dame scoreless. The Crimson Tide has now held 12 opponents to seven points or less in the first half this season. UA has shutout seven opponents in the first half this season.
• Alabama safety HaHa Clinton-Dix intercepted his fifth pass of the season. The five interceptions led the team for the season.
• Alabama did not allow a touchdown in BCS Championship Game play for 108 minutes and seven seconds. Before the Golson touchdown run, the last TD scored against the Tide was by Jordan Shipley of Texas with 6:15 left in the fourth quarter.
Special Teams Notes
• Senior Jeremy Shelley finished the season the only kicker in the nation to not miss an extra point or a field goal in 2012. Shelley hit all 69 of his extra point attempts and all 11 of his field goals.