Dec. 29, 2010
Recap | Box Score | Quotes | Photo Gallery
Player of the Game
JaMychal Green continued his recent tear through the non-conference schedule with a season-high 23 points, nine rebounds, a career-high five assists, three blocks and two steals. He was 9-of-12 from the field and is 16-of-22 in his last two games. Of his nine boards, just one shy of his 16th career double-double, five came off the offensive glass and his five assists led to 11 points for the Tide.
Using the NBA efficiency stat, Green finished with an efficiency of 33, the highest by a UA player this season and the highest of his career. Additionally, it is the third highest efficiency posted by an SEC player this season.
In his last five games, Green is averaging 16.8 points and 9.2 rebounds per game while shooting 58.8 percent from the field.
Play of the Game
With Alabama well ahead in the second half nursing a 27-point lead, freshman Trevor Releford drove through the paint and dished out a highlight-reel behind the back pass to Tony Mitchell who went in for the uncontested layup. The assist was one of Releford's game-high six on the evening with no turnovers in 21 minutes of action.
Turning Point of the Game
The first 5:08 of the contest set the tone for the game as UA jumped out to a 13-2 lead courtesy of an 11-0 run that featured six points from JaMychal Green and was capped by a Tony Mitchell dunk. The Waves shot just 1-of-8 during that span and couldn't keep Chris Hines off the glass as the senior hauled in six of his 11 boards in the first 5:08.
Stat of the Game
Alabama's offense clicked as well as it has all season with UA scoring on a season-high 62.8 percent of its possessions, the sixth highest floor percentage by an SEC program in the 139 games played by league members. The Tide also averaged a season-high 1.2 points per possession.
Lineup of the Game
Alabama used 13 different lineups with 11 of them outscoring Pepperdine. The five-man combination of JaMychal Green, Tony Mitchell, Trevor Releford, Charvez Davis and Chris Hines was the most productive, outscoring Pepperdine, 29-16, during the 10:01 they were on the court together.
Additional Game Notes
• Alabama scored a season-high 83 points, its most since scoring 90 against Mercer on Dec. 23, 2009, and the fourth game under Grant with 80 or more points.
• The 23-point margin of victory was the team's third biggest this season and sixth of 20 or more points.
• The win was the 100th of head coach Anthony Grant's career. The second-year UA coach won 76 games in three seasons at VCU and has 24 wins in his tenure at UA.
• Chris Hines recorded his first career double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
• Senior Charvez Davis hit five three-pointers for the second straight game and is 10-of-16 from behind the arc in his last two games.
• The Crimson Tide had a season-high 22 assists.
• UA also matched a season high with 10 blocks after recording 10 as well in its last outing.
• The Tide is 16-5 under Grant when scoring 70 or more points.
• The game was UA's first meeting with Pepperdine and the team is now 3-2 all-time against current members of the West Coast Conference.
• UA had 48 points in the paint, its second most this season and has outscored opponents, 468-284, in the paint this season.
• Pepperdine became just the sixth opponent this season to score 60 or more points against the Tide.
• However, the Waves became the ninth team to shoot less than 40 percent from the field against UA.
• Alabama had seven dunks in the game including two from Tony Mitchell who leads the team with 23 this season. Overall, Alabama leads its opponents 50-8 in dunks this season.
• Alabama tweaked its starting lineup again by using the starting five of JaMychal Green, Tony Mitchell, Trevor Releford, Charvez Davis and Chris Hines. The start is the third of Davis' career and a team-high 68th for Green.
Pepperdine +/- Report