Dec. 8, 2011
Final Stats |
AP Photo Gallery
Player of the Game
The Crimson Tide was again led by Tony Mitchell with 18 points on 7-of-14 shooting. The junior was on the floor for the entire second half and scored four of his six points in the second half during the Tide's 11-0 run that helped pull the team within two possessions. Mitchell finished the game with a team-high efficiency rating of 15 and added a pair of assists.
Play of the Game
Fresh off a three-point play from Trevor Releford, JaMychal Green blocked a shot at the right elbow on the ensuing Dayton possession and had the rebound corralled by Trevor Lacey. Lacey pushed the ball up court and through the UD defense where he found Tony Mitchell on the baseline for a quick bucket. The series came in the middle of UA's 11-0 spurt that helped cut a 16-point deficit down to four.
Turning Point of the Game
After falling behind by as many as 17 points early in the second half, the Tide pulled within four points at 57-53 with less than eight minutes to play courtesy of a 13-1 run. However, the Flyers' Kevin Dillard answered that charge with back-to-back three-pointers that keyed a 14-2 UD run over the next six minutes to squash the Tide's comeback hopes.
Stat of the Game
The Flyers blistered the nets at a 60.9 percent rate from the field (28-of-46) and 52.6 percent from the three-point arc (10-of-19). The 60.9 percent rate was the highest by an opponent in Anthony Grant's three seasons on the UA bench. In Grant's 78 games at the Capstone, only nine opponents have shot 50 percent or better from the field against the Tide.
UA used 15 different five-man combinations against the Flyers with four of them outscoring UD. The most productive lineup consisted of Tony Mitchell, Trevor Releford, Trevor Lacey, Nick Jacobs and JaMychal Green who outscored Dayton, 13-7, during the 5:48 they were on the court together. Tony Mitchell was the only player who was a part of all four lineups that had a positive point differential.
Additional Game Notes
- The loss evened the all-time series with Dayton at 1-1 and dropped UA to 23-13 against current members of the Atlantic-10.
- Tony Mitchell's 18 points gives him 978 career points and moves him within 22 points of becoming the 45th 1,000-point scorer in UA history.
- JaMychal Green surpassed the 1,400 career point mark with his 12 points and now has 1,411 points in his four seasons.
- Alabama fell to 347-123 all-time when ranked.
- Dayton averaged 1.23 points per possession, the highest UA has surrendered this season and the highest since Vanderbilt scored 1.26 points per possession against UA last season.
- Dayton was the fourth straight opponent UA outscored in the paint. The Tide has now outscored those four by a combined 144-88 margin.
- For the second straight game, UA's shooting improved dramatically with a 61.5 percent effort in the second half at Dayton. In its last two games, UA has shot a combined 58 percent (29-of-50) from the field in the second half.
Dayton +/- Report