Nov. 9, 2012
- Alabama officially began its 100th season of basketball in 2012-13 with Friday night's contest. The Crimson Tide program began in 1912-13.
- Alabama is a host team for the 2012 2K Sports Classic benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project. The four host teams (which also includes Oregon State, Purdue and Villanova) will meet in Madison Square Garden on Nov. 15-16.
- Friday night's contest between Alabama and South Dakota State marked the first meeting on the hardwood between the two teams.
- The Crimson Tide will host West Alabama on Sunday in the second game of the Tuscaloosa Regional of the 2K Sports Classic.
- UA improved to 80-20 all-time in season openers and 63-8 when opening the season in Tuscaloosa. The Tide is 21-3 in season openers at Coleman Coliseum.
- Anthony Grant improved to 6-1 as a head coach in season openers and 18-2 overall in his collegiate coaching career as a head and/or assistant coach.
- Alabama ended the first half on an 11-0 run, turning a 29-16 deficit into a two-point game, 29-27, at halftime.
- The Tide led 3-2 at the 19:05 mark and didn't lead again until the 11:06 mark of the second half when Trevor Releford made a layup to give Alabama a 42-41 lead.
- Sophomore Trevor Lacey's game-winning basket at the buzzer broke a 67-67 tie. It was the first buzzer-beater of his young career.
- Alabama was trailing by two points, 29-27, at intermission, and came back to win, 70-67. Last season, the Tide's record was 2-9 when trailing after the opening 20 minutes of play.
- As a team, the Crimson Tide finished the contest by making all 14 free throw attempts for the game, which matches the school record for free throw percentage in a game. The record most free throws without a miss in a game is 21, set on Dec. 20, 1986 vs. Appalachian State (21-of-21).