March 16, 2011
Recap | Box Score | Quotes | Photo Gallery
Player of the Game
Senior Senario Hillman played one of his top games of the year with 11 points, a season-high seven rebounds, two assists and two steals. Hillman’s 11 points moved his past 1,000 in his career with 1,005 career points. His two steals also moved within one of the career record at UA with 173 steals.
All 11 of his points came in 12 minutes of action in the second half and five in Alabama’s 13-0 run during the early minutes of the half. His 11 points were his most since Dec. 1 and his eighth game in double figures this season.
Play of the Game
With 4:30 left in the first half freshman Trevor Releford went coast-to-coast with the ball, split two defenders in the backcourt and spun through another set at midcourt before going in for a contested layup and drawing the foul and the bucket. The jaw-dropping play came at the tail end of a 11-1 UA run that gave the Tide solid control of the contest. That run was ignited by a Releford bucket as well.
Turning Point of the Game
In just 37 seconds Tony Mitchell turned a three-point lead into a nine-point advantage with back-to-back three-pointers with less than 14 minutes to play in the first half. Mitchell matched a career-high with three three pointers in the contest and was 3-of-4 from behind the arc.
Stat of the Game
The win was Alabama’s 17th of the season in Coleman Coliseum to match the school record for home wins in a season. The 2001-02 team also posted a 17-0 home record. Dating back to last year, the Tide has won 18 straight games in Tuscaloosa. However, the squad has a long way to go to break the consecutive home win streak of 54 set from 1929-34.
The five-man unit of Tony Mitchell, JaMychal Green, Ben Eblen, Trevor Releford and Chris Hines was the Tide’s most productive lineup by outscoring Coastal Carolina, 19-5, during the 6:37 the they were on the court together.
Additional Game Notes
- Alabama’s 24-point victory was its fifth-biggest margin of victory on the season and biggest since a 24-point margin on Jan. 29 against LSU.
- Alabama improved to 17-0 at home this season to tie for the best home record in school history with the 2001-02 team.
- UA has won 17 of its last 22 games.
- The win improved the Crimson Tide to 18-13 all-time in the NIT and 4-2 in home NIT games.
- Coastal Carolina’s 44 points were its fewest of the season.
- CCU became the sixth opponent to score less than 40 points against the Tide this season. UA is 6-0 in those games.
- CCU shot 33.3 percent and is the 21st opponent this season to shoot less than 40 percent against the Tide.
- Tony Mitchell’s three three-pointers were a season high and matched a career high. He finished with 12 points off the bench and has scored in double figures in 31 of 33 games this season.
- UA used two runs of 10-0 or greater to give it 21 such runs on the season.
- Alabama had 13 steals and has had 10 or more steals in 15 games this season.
- After being outscored in the paint in its last three games, UA held a 38-21 advantage in the paint and has been even or better in 30 of 33 games this season.
Coastal Carolina +/- Report