Feb. 16, 2012
Box Score |
Player of the Game
Andrew Steele returned to the Crimson Tide and led the team with 11 points to match his career high. Steele was 4-of-8 from the field and 3-of-4 from the free-throw line with five boards and a team-high three assists. Nine of his points came in the second half as he tried to jumpstart the dormant UA offense. In addition to matching a career high it was his second double-digit scoring game of his career and the first time in his four seasons at UA he has led UA in scoring.
Turning Point of the Game
Alabama played Florida to a first-half tie, but things changed quickly in the second half as Florida busted open an 8-0 run in the first two minutes of the half. The Tide wasn't able to put a stop to the Gators' as it extended to 16-0 before the Tide scored its first points of the half. UA was held without a field goal for the first nine minutes of the half and by that point the Gators' 14-point lead proved too big for the Tide to overcome.
Stat of the Game
Alabama's reserves continued their much needed strong play by scoring 23 of UA's 52 points. Florida's bench was held scoreless. It was the first time this season an opponent's bench has failed to score a point. UA's bench has now outscored six straight opponents' benches.
Alabama used 17 different lineups in the loss to Florida with nine of them outscoring or playing the Gators even. The five-man unit of Trevor Releford, Trevor Lacey, Charles Hankerson, Moussa Gueye and Andrew Steele was the most productive by building a 10-point, 14-4, lead over the Gators during the 4:56 they spent together on the court.
Additional Game Notes
- Levi Randolph recorded a career high in rebounds with nine.
- Carl Engstrom matched his scoring career best with four points.
- Florida became just the 10th team this season to score 60 or more points against the Tide.
- Alabama scored 0.80 points per possession, a season low for the Tide.
- The Gators scored 0.97 points per possession to become the 20th opponent to score less than a point per possession against the Tide's defense.
- Alabama matched a season high with 18 turnovers.
- The loss was just Alabama's third home loss in the last two seasons and second SEC home loss during that span.
- Florida's 24 points off turnovers were the most by a UA opponent this season.
- Alabama's bench continued its strong play with 23 points. Florida's bench was scoreless.
- Florida converted on a season-low six three-pointers.
- Florida became just the third team to outscore UA in the paint this season with a 26-22 advantage.
- UA got to the free-throw line 24 times, it second most attempts in an SEC game this season.
- Alabama's defense forced its 10th shot clock violation of the season.
- The Tide's 52 points matched a season low.
- The 26-26 halftime tie marked the first time UA has been tied at halftime this season.
- UA outrebounded Florida, 34-32. UA is 12-3 when outrebounding its opponent this season.
- Alabama falls to 73-59 all-time against Florida, 48-17 at home and 27-6 in Coleman Coliseum with the Gators fourth straight win over the Tide.
Florida +/- Report