Feb. 11, 2011
Recap | Box Score
Player of the Game
JaMychal Green continued his solid junior season with his sixth double-double of the season with 23 points and 10 rebounds. His 23 points matched a season high and six of his 10 boards came off the offensive glass. Green did nearly half of his damage at the free-throw line where he was an almost perfect 10-of-11, all coming in the second half.
He helped lead a frontcourt effort that held a 46-18 advantage in points in the paint and added two assists and two blocks. Green finished the game with an efficiency rating of 26 to match his best mark of the season.
Play of the Game
Faced with a one-point deficit and less than 30 seconds to play, reigning SEC Freshman of the Week Trevor Releford made a veteran play by driving the ball the entire length of the floor and sliced through four Vanderbilt defenders for a left-handed layup to give the Crimson Tide a 77-76 lead with 26 seconds to play.
Turning Point of the Game
Vanderbilt reclaimed the lead on the next possession when Brad Tinsley drained an off-balance jumper and was fouled on the play. Tinsley stepped to the line and sank the free throw to convert on the three-point play an turn a one-point Vanderbilt deficit into a two-point lead with 17 seconds left to play.
Stat of the Game
Alabama shot a season-high 55.6 percent in the loss for just its seventh 50 percent or better performance of the year and its first in SEC play. The Tide is 5-2 this season when shooting 50 percent or better from the floor. The 55.6 performance was the team's best in a losing effort since shooting 59.5 percent in a 67-65 loss at South Carolina on Feb. 16, 2008.
Lineup of the Game
Alabama used 13 different lineups with eight of them outscoring or playing the Commodores even. The most productive unit consisted of JaMychal Green, Trevor Releford, Chris Hines, Tony Mitchell and Senario Hillman as the quintet held a 14-4 advantage over Vanderbilt during the 5:42 they were on the court together.
Additional Game Notes
- Tony Mitchell had his third straight 20-point game with 22 points on 10-of-16 shooting. Mitchell is averaging 23 points in his last three outings.
- JaMychal Green's three-pointer with 2:19 left in the game was the first of his career. He has attempted seven three-pointers in his three seasons at UA.
- Senario Hillman's two steals gives him 167 in his career, seven shy of the school record and one short of tying Robert Horry in second all-time at UA.
- Chris Hines matched a career-high with three assists.
- Alabama held a 46-18 advantage in points in the paint to continue UA's streak of outscoring every opponent in the paint this season.
- Vanderbilt's nine three-pointers tied for the second most UA has given up this season and the most in SEC action.
- The 11-point deficit Alabama faced in the first half was its biggest of the SEC season. The previous high was six in the win over Kentucky.
- JaMychal Green's double-double was the 19th of his career, the most of any active SEC player.
- Alabama's 77 points were its most in SEC play this season and fifth most this season.
- Vanderbilt's 81 points are the third most UA has surrendered this season and the most in SEC action. UA is 0-3 this season when allowing 80 or more points.
- Vanderbilt's John Jenkins became just the sixth opponent this season to score 20 or more points against UA with an even 20 points.
- The loss was Alabama's first since Jan. 15 and its first against an SEC Eastern Division opponent. UA is 3-1 against the Eastern Division this season.
Vanderbilt +/- Report